Author Topic: Help decipher this notam  (Read 21345 times)

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Help decipher this notam
« on: September 15, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »
Ok, I don't know if this is legal, but this notam was just issued a few days ago.  I understand the altitude restrictions for some of our fixes, the IKBES, and the LEFAS  but what does the Vice mean and the 13/4 mean?  >>

050269 CYTS TIMMINS
  CYTS WIE AMEND CAP4:
LOC(BC)/DME RWY 21 PROFILE VIEW: MIN ALT AT IKBES 1800 VICE 1700.
VOR RWY 21 PROFILE VIEW: MIN ALT AT LEFAS 1560 VICE 1500, VOR
MINIMA TO READ: 1560 (593) 13/4, CAT A,B CIRCLING MINIMA TO READ:
1560 (593)13/4, CAT C CIRCLING MINIMA TO READ: 1560 (593) 2.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Notam contractions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 03:32:12 PM »
WEI - Effective Immediately
VICE - Instead of (Versa)
13/4 should probably be 1 3/4

Here's a link which defines US NOTAM contractions...
http://www.whittsflying.com/Page5.545NOTAM_contractions.htm

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Help decipher this notam
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 03:40:14 PM »
Ok, thanks for the link.  Helps a lot  :)   My remaining question is the number in the brackets (593) is that some reading from the VOR? Otherwise, the rest makes sense.  And, I even heard a lengthy discussion on radio just a little while ago that the FSS was notified about this new tower constructed , which by PIREP is only a few miles from mthe rwy 21 approach path.  LOL it's just a comical situation.  Just the 593 is a tad confusing.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
ASL AGL
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:12:22 PM »
The first number is the altitude in MSL (or ASL in Canada).  The one in parenthises is AGL or above ground level.

Offline digger

Help decipher this notam
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:14:31 PM »
My remaining question is the number in the brackets (593)

The obstruction is 593 feet tall. It's the same way the obstruction information is depicted on charts. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that's it.)

On edit: davolijj beat me to it...

Offline frantzy

Help decipher this notam
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 04:21:07 PM »
Quote from: digger
My remaining question is the number in the brackets (593)

The obstruction is 593 feet tall. It's the same way the obstruction information is depicted on charts. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that's it.)
quote]

A handy way I learned to remember that is:  The first number is what your altimeter reads when you hit the obstacle...the second number is how far you'll fall after you do.  :)

Offline Check Pilot

Help decipher this notam
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 10:23:10 AM »
The 593 is actually not an obstruction but the minimun descent height above the runway TDZE (Touchdown Zone Elevation). This would be the height shown by the aircraft's radio altimeter (if equipped) when the aircraft is positioned over the first 3000 feet of runway. If the pilot is in that position a landing would be impossible since the threshold crossing height for most runways is 50 feet

RA (Radio Altitude) is a rough guide that a pilot may briefly refer to when conducting an approach to the airport but is not used for non precision approaches as a minimum. The reason is that the terrain below the aircraft likely varies above and below the TDZE while approaching the runway. The MDA (Minimum Descent Altitude), in Canada anyway, for non-precision approaches like the one indicated for Timmins is the altimeter minimum not the radio altimeter minimum.

Hope that helps.

Offline digger

Help decipher this notam
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:08:07 PM »
I'm glad I said I was only 99% sure...

Offline Chadan

• Boone Airport
Re: Help decipher this notam
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
A handy way I learned to remember that is:  The first number is what your altimeter reads when you hit the obstacle...the second number is how far you'll fall after you do.  :)

LOL! Great mnemonic!