Author Topic: Condition of flight?  (Read 19020 times)

Offline kumara6

Condition of flight?
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
Hi

I was out flying one day on a X/C, VFR with Flight Following. There was one cloud in the entire area and it happened to be 5 miles in front of me, at my altitude. I advised that I am climbing to dodge a cloud. He said roger. About 5 minutes later, he asked what is the condition of my flight. I asked for clarification and all he did was repeat the question slowly.

The only thing that I could think of that involved "condition" was weather conditions, so i replied "VMC". Replied with roger.

Was this what he was looking for? Was he asking for a PIREP? I don't think "Condition of flight" is in the the pilot-atc glossary? If so, I could not find it. It was too long ago so the archive isn't there anymore, otherwise I would have provided audio.

Thanks

Offline tyketto

Re: Condition of flight?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

The controller here is pretty much asking "how is your ride?": meaning, visibility, any turbulence, chop, and perhaps winds aloft. He's just asking how does the flight conditions look in your area, so he could notify any other pilots going through the same area.

BL.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
The phraseology from the book for requesting a PIREP is "say flight conditions".

Offline stszu

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
Possible answer:
We are at Flight Level 140 with a 45-knot tail wind and occasional mild turbulence. (Environmental threats. Flight path)