Author Topic: have someone's information ATIS.mp3?  (Read 23313 times)

Offline monax.avia

have someone's information ATIS.mp3?
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »
a need to study, but I can not where to find help! Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:57:55 AM by monax.avia »

Offline bjen9337

Re: have someone's information ATIS.mp3?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »
huh? :?

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:57:31 AM »
are you looking for an atis or awos message clip for studying?

KHAOS

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:11:19 AM »
Sure, I've got one for ya.  Clip is attached in MP3 format at the bottom.

This was part of audio I recorded on my first cross-country solo.

A standard ATIS will consist of:

Airport Name
Information Code
Time (In Zulu)
Wind direction / speed
Visibility
Sky condition
Temperature / Dewpoint
Altimeter setting
Runways in use
Advisories / Cautions

See also: http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-153988.html

"Advise on initial contact, you have information...." Followed by the information code. (Letters A-Z)

When they say "advise on initial contact", that means when you contact a controller, you let them know you have the current weather.  This pertains to such things as when you contact Clearance Delivery, Ground or Tower (for landing or transitioning through their airspace), etc.

Examples:

"Salt Lake Ground, Skyhawk 12814, at terminal with Foxtrot, request taxi VFR northbound."
"Salt Lake Approach, Skyhawk 12814 over Bountiful at 5,500, VFR to Provo with Mike."
"Ogden Tower, Skyhawk 3901S, 10 miles west at 6,000.  Inbound for landing with Delta."
"Salt Lake Clearance Delivery, Skyhawk 3948R, VFR to Tooele with Zulu."

And so on, and so forth.  

At some airports, ATIS's are recorded manually by controllers every hour.  At others, they are automated and updated every hour, or whenever significant weather changes occur.  In the clip I have, it sounds like Stephen Hawking giving the briefing...

SALT LAKE AIRPORT, INFORMATION NOVEMBER, 1753 ZULU.  
WIND 150 AT 11.
VISIBILITY 10.
12,000 SCATTERED.
20,000 SCATTERED.
TEMPERATURE 1.
DEW POINT -5.
ALTIMETER 30.29.
PARALLEL ILS RUNWAY 16 RIGHT, RUNWAY 16 LEFT, ILS RUNWAY 17 OR VISUAL APPROACHES IN USE.
CAUTION FOR EXTENSIVE BIRD ACTIVITY IN THE VICINITY OF THE AIRPORT.
ON TAXIWAYS OPERATE TRANSPONDER WITH MODE C.
ADVISE ON INITIAL CONTACT YOU HAVE INFORMATION NOVEMBER.

Hope that helps with the studying.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:12:58 AM by KHAOS »

Offline cptkirk

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »
Just call a real ATIS!!!!

for example, if you look up the airport information in the AFD or at airnav.com in the communications section it will list the frequency for the ATIS or D-ATIS and a phone number if one is available.  At some airports they only have a phone number for an ASOS or AWOS, most D-ATIS' have a phone number.
Here is the link to Long Beach Airports information and you can see they do have a number where you can call and listen to the ATIS.  http://www.airnav.com/airport/Klgb
 I program these numbers for local airports in my phone and those of airports I fly to frequently so I can call and get updated weather.  I usually place the call right before I depart.  Also nice if you are flying to an airport that is very close and may not have enough time to pick up the atis in the air, just call, write it down, and take off.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
You can also call 800-ANY-AWOS for most ASOS/AWOS information across the country.

Offline iflyhi

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:27:26 AM »
wtf ???   i dialed  800 any awos   [800-269-2967]   i got some kind of phone sex recording.   called fron  connecticut   it aint awos.   any clues?     or is this a joke ..

KHAOS

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:12:27 AM »
Looks like it's 877-ANY-AWOS, and as of '06, it's a subscription service ($65/yr).  http://www.anyawos.com/index.html

It's easier (and free) to just go to airnav.com or an A/FD, look up the airport, and just get the ASOS/AWOS telephone number from there.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
WHOOPS!!  So Sorry about providing the wrong number.  It's been a while since I called it (4 years now)... no surprise it's subscription service... used to be free and you just listened to an advertisement before the recording started.