Author Topic: Corporate jet pilot daily flight time restrictions  (Read 38387 times)

Offline jonnevin

Corporate jet pilot daily flight time restrictions
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »
I have always wondered, since airliners require relief crew after 8 and 12 hours of flight time (1 and 2 relief crew, respectively), how does this work for corporate jets flying long legs? (G5 flying LAX - NRT, etc). Are they subject to the same requirements and if so, is there a sectioned off crew rest area on some of the bigger long range private jets?

Thanks

Offline tyketto

Re: Corporate jet pilot daily flight time restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »
I have always wondered, since airliners require relief crew after 8 and 12 hours of flight time (1 and 2 relief crew, respectively), how does this work for corporate jets flying long legs? (G5 flying LAX - NRT, etc). Are they subject to the same requirements and if so, is there a sectioned off crew rest area on some of the bigger long range private jets?

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure on this, so pilots, please correct me if I get something wrong here. But corporate jets aren't Part 121, which the airliners are, but are Part 135, which have different regulations altogether. That should be in the FARs, and given enough time, I'll find the right regulation for you.

BL.

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »
Part 135 is allowed to fly 10 hours in 24. With no more than a 14 hour duty day. An augmented crew (adding 1) will allow you to fly 14 hours. There needs to be a rest station but exactly what or where that is is not specified. I don't have a copy of the FAR's with me but it's in there.

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »
Found it, I was close; 3 pilots= 18hr duty with 12hr flight time 4 pilot= 20hr duty with 16hr flight time.

You can see it in FAR 135.269
Which I will reprint for your reading pleasure!

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 135—OPERATING REQUIREMENTS: COMMUTER AND ON DEMAND OPERATIONS AND RULES GOVERNING PERSONS ON BOARD SUCH AIRCRAFT
Subpart F—Crewmember Flight Time and Duty Period Limitations and Rest Requirements

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 135.269   Flight time limitations and rest requirements: Unscheduled three- and four-pilot crews.
(a) No certificate holder may assign any flight crewmember, and no flight crewmember may accept an assignment, for flight time as a member of a three- or four-pilot crew if that crewmember's total flight time in all commercial flying will exceed—

(1) 500 hours in any calendar quarter.

(2) 800 hours in any two consecutive calendar quarters.

(3) 1,400 hours in any calendar year.

(b) No certificate holder may assign any pilot to a crew of three or four pilots, unless that assignment provides—

(1) At least 10 consecutive hours of rest immediately preceding the assignment;

(2) No more than 8 hours of flight deck duty in any 24 consecutive hours;

(3) No more than 18 duty hours for a three-pilot crew or 20 duty hours for a four-pilot crew in any 24 consecutive hours;

(4) No more than 12 hours aloft for a three-pilot crew or 16 hours aloft for a four-pilot crew during the maximum duty hours specified in paragraph (b)(3) of this section;

(5) Adequate sleeping facilities on the aircraft for the relief pilot;

(6) Upon completion of the assignment, a rest period of at least 12 hours;

(7) For a three-pilot crew, a crew which consists of at least the following:

(i) A pilot in command (PIC) who meets the applicable flight crewmember requirements of subpart E of part 135;

(ii) A PIC who meets the applicable flight crewmember requirements of subpart E of part 135, except those prescribed in §§135.244 and 135.247; and

(iii) A second in command (SIC) who meets the SIC qualifications of §135.245.

(8) For a four-pilot crew, at least three pilots who meet the conditions of paragraph (b)(7) of this section, plus a fourth pilot who meets the SIC qualifications of §135.245.

(c) When a flight crewmember has exceeded the daily flight deck duty limitation in this section by more than 60 minutes, because of circumstances beyond the control of the certificate holder or flight crewmember, that flight crewmember must have a rest period before the next duty period of at least 16 consecutive hours.

(d) A certificate holder must provide each flight crewmember at least 13 rest periods of at least 24 consecutive hours each in each calendar quarter.

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »
Thanks!

Offline ellejosh33

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »
In relation to corporate operations they may be part 91. There are many companies out there which have their own flight department and therefore do not operate under part's 121 or 135. I have flown for companies under part 135(cargo),121(airline) and 91(as a Contract pilot) and therefore have had to ensure compliance with the appropriate corresponding regulation.

In the case where part 91 applies there is no rest requirement or flight time restrictions. In these cases it is up to company policy and procedures to set the flight time restrictions which usually follow the basic guidelines of FAR parts 135 or 121 depending on the type of aircraft or aircraft's used by the company.

Now the caveat is if the operation is operated under part 91 sub-part K fractional ownership operations. under this part 91.1051 applies. The limits are 8hrs flight time for 1 pilot, 10 hrs for 2 pilot. Both are restricted to 14 hour duty day and require 10 hours rest immediately before duty. There are additional regulations in reference to augmented flight crews which can be found in part 91.1061.
I hope this helps to further answer your question.   

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
I do some Part 91 work, basicaly 'no rules flying' you have to love it!

Offline imflight

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:06:58 AM »
I have definitely pulled 20+ hour days part 91 style... West coast to YYZ, sit for 4 hours, then to HPN, sit for 4, and one stop home.  The phrase "nuts to that" applies at about the 16 hour mark over Lake Michigan  :-D

Offline terry.smith

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Hey there, I am looking for a qualified expert to speak on this subject. You will be accredited with article authorship, it will be edited for free, and you will be featured on our site at: www.jetinsiders.com If anyone is interested please pm me. Thanks