airtraffic

Author Topic: ATC programs?  (Read 9286 times)

Offline kwx525

ATC programs?
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »
Hello, I have been researching about a career in ATC and have a few questions. I've read all the postings about entering as a civilian and applying. This process does seem to take awhile from the earlier postings. I am located in Dallas and came across Link Simulation and Training Academy. It seems to be legitimate and is also very pricey for only 10 months. If anyone has any knowledge about this school it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline atcman23

Re: ATC programs?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »
It's a very pricey program that will dump information quickly into your brain.  It's similar to Advanced ATC but cheaper.  Personally I do not recommend these programs.  Yeah you may get a CTO, however you get no preference with the FAA; you apply off the street and go through the 5 week Basics course.  The brochure L3 provides has false information in it; you do not become a CPC (only in the FAA does this exist and you achieve that by getting signed off on ALL positions; you can't enter the FAA as a CPC).  Also, their brochure shows their grads making $4K more starting out and this is not true.  Be cautious of what you decide to do and seriously look into the 2 year ATC-CTI programs as they may be far cheaper for you with the only drawback being spending an extra year in school.

Also, the FAA has suspended off-the-street hiring for FY2010 and it probably won't start up again until perhaps late FY2011 or later.  They have a lot of OTS already in the system with more veterans and CTI grads entering as well (OTS applicants are the last people to be selected after the vets and CTI).  Therefore, you may want to look into the CTI school solely for the benefit of being able to apply with the FAA.

Offline jarhead0863

Re: ATC programs?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »
I too would look out for those programs. IMO going through and FAA accredited program would be the best. 2 or 4 year programs are available and right now would be your best bet.