Author Topic: lost two-way comms  (Read 8072 times)

Offline cassidy1190

lost two-way comms
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
While flying through Philly class B airspace today I encountered a problem.  My battery started to die.  I was able to get my radios to work temporarily after recycling the master switch and advised Philly, who I was already talking to, and had a clearance with, that my radios were going out. After a somewhat garbled response I squawked 7600 and descended out of the Bravo and went about my way VFR until I could land.  I am a low time pilot still and am wondering if I could have done anything differently, or worse, could I have done something wrong?

Offline tyketto

Re: lost two-way comms
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
While flying through Philly class B airspace today I encountered a problem.  My battery started to die.  I was able to get my radios to work temporarily after recycling the master switch and advised Philly, who I was already talking to, and had a clearance with, that my radios were going out. After a somewhat garbled response I squawked 7600 and descended out of the Bravo and went about my way VFR until I could land.  I am a low time pilot still and am wondering if I could have done anything differently, or worse, could I have done something wrong?

question.. the airport you landed at.. was it controlled? Did you advise Philly Tracon on which airport you intended to land at? I ask, because they probably if you were still able to receive, I wonder if they did the whole "If transmission received, rock your wings" or something similar, like they do at EAA Airventer at OSH.

BL.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:43:04 AM »
Did you call either the approach or FSS after you landed to advise them you landed. If not they might be out looking for you.

Offline cassidy1190

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
I went on to land an uncontrolled airport.  When I got down I called the FSS and also got the number for Philly Tracon, which was really just the clearance phone number, and told them what had happened.  As it turns out, I was able to descend out of the bravo without violating any cfrs...thank god!  In fact they didn’t even seem to have any recollection of the event and told me that there weren’t any violations at all that evening. The problem with the airplane is still unknown, seems alternator related though.