airtraffic

Author Topic: altimeter setting  (Read 18002 times)

Offline masterkeymaster

altimeter setting
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »
When a controller gives a pilot the altimeter setting, is the pilot required to repeat it back. “All hold short instructions require a read back.” If you give the pilot an altitude to remain essentially you gave them a hold short instruction.

Offline martyj19

Re: altimeter setting
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
There is some disagreement on this.  I come down on the side of, it isn't required, but it is good practice and I hear most heavy iron doing it.  It is essential to have the altimeter correct when you are on an approach so you don't hit something you can't see.  It is very desirable to have the altimeter correct when you are maintaining an altitude so you don't compromise separation with crossing traffic a thousand feet away.

ICAO document 9432 Section 2.8.3.5 requires readback of altimeter settings.  The AIM section 4.4.7 is silent on the readback of altimeter settings.

A clearance to an altitude is not a hold short instruction within the meaning of the regulations that specify what is to be read back.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:38:09 PM by martyj19 »

Offline 1053857

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
You're a little confused on what hold short instructions are.

"Read Back Hold Short Instructions" pertains to runways only. (holding short of a runway)

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »

"Read Back Hold Short Instructions" pertains to runways only. (holding short of a runway)

This refers to taxiways as well.

BL.

Offline N/A

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
-
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 04:31:16 PM by None. »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »

This refers to taxiways as well.

BL.

ATC can certainly ask for it in the same way they can ask any information (such as altimeter settings) to be read back if they feel it wasn't understood, but the "read back hold short instructions" phraseology in 3-7-2(f) specifically refers to "runway hold short instructions" (not "runway/taxiway/place-in-movement-area hold short instructions").

May want to take a look at a few airport diagrams: For example, I know that the diagram for KLAS states that readback of all hold short instructions is required. I know that is in supplement to the .65, but the requirement definitely is there.

BL.

Offline martyj19

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »

Not to put too fine a point on it, the KLAS airport diagram valid 11-Dec-2014 to 08-Jan-2015 says "readback of all runway holding instructions is required" (in all caps).

AIM 4-3-18(7) NOTE : ATC is required to obtain a readback from the pilot of all runway hold short instructions.  There is more on it in 4-3-18(9).  Can't find anything about taxiway hold short instructions, but of course it could be in there somewhere and the AIM could easily be out of sync with the .65.

I agree that if someone were to get a taxiway hold short, they should read it back and I certainly would do it myself.  In fact we just had someone ask a month or two ago about the single dashed line taxiway holding position markings (2-3-5(c)).  The whole point is to minimize the possibility of a collision.

Offline spades

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »
I don't care if you readback the altimeter unless you read it back incorrectly.