airtraffic

Author Topic: Stuck Microphone  (Read 16790 times)

Offline masterkeymaster

Stuck Microphone
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
If you are on a controllers frequency and all of a sudden you can’t get through because there is a stuck microphone on the frequency what would happen if you used another frequency temporary such as the ground controllers frequency for tower operations or even the clearance deliver frequency. how come the FAA never assigned a backup frequency in such cases or even in an emergency that would be published? Especially in class B airspaces! A Stuck microphone has got to be annoying.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:31:56 PM by masterkeymaster »

Offline JetScan1

Re: Stuck Microphone
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »

Offline N/A

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
-
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 04:26:57 PM by None. »

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
A.K.A. that frequency you were likely monitoring (except perhaps in terminal airspace) anyway, right?

Yep standard to have 121.500 up on #2 radio (in cruise). Your plan works too, if you're familiar with the frequencies.

Offline AeroBill

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:36:13 AM »
Speaking about stuck mikes. They seem to be fairy common with aircraft radios. Don't they have an
indicator light or symbol on the radio to indicate the radio is transmitting even when it shouldn't be?
Or is it just a case of the pilot not noticing it until ground controller or other aircraft mentions there is
a stuck mike on the frequency?

Offline svoynick

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:59:19 AM »
Speaking about stuck mikes. They seem to be fairy common with aircraft radios. Don't they have an
indicator light or symbol on the radio to indicate the radio is transmitting even when it shouldn't be?
Or is it just a case of the pilot not noticing it until ground controller or other aircraft mentions there is
a stuck mike on the frequency?
You can't "notice it" as a result of someone mentioning it on frequency, because your radio is not receiving on frequency as long as the mic is stuck and the radio is transmitting.

Offline AeroBill

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »
Sorry. I was not clear. I meant if there is an indicator light or symbol on the radio panel to show
the radio is transmitting wouldn't the pilot notice that, not that he would hear on the radio about a
stuck mike on frequency. As you say, he couldn't hear transmissions if the might is stuck.

Offline Rick108

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
In the case of the Garmin radios (G1000, etc.), the only indication is a small "TX" next to the frequency on the screen.  It doesn't stand out in any way, and it's easy to miss if you're not specifically looking for it.  On older audio panels, there is usually a small light, although I remember in the Cherokee I used to fly, the pilot's view of light was blocked by a knob on the audio panel...

Offline ridejumpfly

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:20:02 AM »
Nifty stuck mic feature on the g1000 and other garmin radios. If you have a stuck mic and transmit continuously for 35 seconds it will cut your mic off.

Offline Rick108

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that!  Also know as "automatic long-winded pilot squelch"  :-D

Offline spades

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »

Except then you have to listen to the Guard nazis.  I swear, some pilots just need to chill out.  I've listened before where another controller asked a pilot to try an aircraft on guard and as soon as he did, a bunch of people yelled "On Guard!"  I was happy that the pilot finally said back, "Yeah, I know...I'm trying to do a favor for ATC, is that okay with you?"