Author Topic: Air/Ground Communication  (Read 14488 times)

Offline rld6290

Air/Ground Communication
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:03:27 AM »
Hi,
I am currently writing a thesis on air/ground communication between pilots and air traffic controllers and the complexities surrounding this. I was wondering if any pilots and air traffic controllers have a spare 10minutes to complete a short survey- it will really benefit my project.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/rldcommunication
Thank you in advance.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
Re: Air/Ground Communication
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »
I was going to take the survey, but the employment choices are "ATC" or "pilot".  To be clear, are you limiting the survey to professional pilots and controllers only?

Offline rld6290

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
Hi there,
thanks for taking the time to read this thread. If you have feedback about air/ground communication you think will be helpful i would really appreciate you completing the survey. Either select the answers that are most suitable or skip those that do not apply...
Thank you!
Rebecca

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:43:18 AM »
Hi Rebecca,

A few ideas for the survey:
- On Question 5, "Have you ever encountered problems with your radio equipment, not allowing you to communicate as required? (i.e. interference, static, sleeping VHF receiver, blocked transmission)" note that a blocked transmission isn't actually a problem with the radio equipment, but rather just another part of the radio infrastructure the FAA has setup. I answered "yes" to this even though I do not attribute a blocked transmission to my radio equipment. I hope this is what you would have preferred. (Although "blocked transmission" is also used as a cause in Q5.)

- In terms of addressing the frequency of problems with the radio in flight, I would suggest using terms such as "once per flight," "twice per flight," so on. The survey seems to imply that all pilots are flying every day or every week, which is not usually the case, even with airliner operations.

Good luck on your thesis!