Aviation > Pilot/Controller Forum

Aircraft identification by letter T_

(1/2) > >>

Qantas119:
So my question to allof you pilots & or controlers is the reason the airline industry use the letter T(TANGO) to identify aircraft. my only example is the Boeing 777 is identified with the combination T7. so i was wondering the reason?

thanks,
Tyler

jmcmanna:
Referencing the attached picture, "T7" is slang for "Boeing 777" or "Triple-7", as in "this is the latest Boeing 777..."

Otherwise, there's "Tango November" callsigns occasionally, which are designators for Air Taxi aircraft.

Also, T7 is the IATA code for "Twin Jet" airlines.

I have no idea what is being asked in the first post . . . do any of the above answer the question?

atcman23:
I believe the person who started the thread is referring to the "T7" remark in the picture, in which, the first reply is correct.  As for aircraft callsigns, if you see a "TN12345", the "T" in front of the "N" references an air taxi flight.

Not sure why they chose T7 to stand for "Twin Jet" aircraft.  There are some things that just can't be explained with the IATA and ICAO.

sykocus:
nevermind

cessna157:

--- Quote from: atcman23 on June 07, 2009, 02:03:56 PM ---Not sure why they chose T7 to stand for "Twin Jet" aircraft.  There are some things that just can't be explained with the IATA and ICAO.

--- End quote ---

Some are clever, some are not, and some are just leftovers.  Comair (OH) is based in Cincinnati, OHio metro area, so that makes sense as a clever one.  Another was ACA/Independence (BR), which recalled to ACA's callsign Blue Ridge, since they were based in the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

Skywest is OO and ASA is EV, I don't understand those.  And Freedom and Frontier are F8 and F9, which seem to be just leftovers.

The legacy carriers have pretty normal IATA codes though:  Delta (DL), American (AA), United (UA), USAirways (US...I assume US, and not HP)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version