Author Topic: A Debrief of 2022 and Looking Ahead  (Read 7767 times)

Offline KB4TEZ

A Debrief of 2022 and Looking Ahead
« on: December 14, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »
From my LinkedIn feed from Sully.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/debrief-2022-looking-ahead-capt-sully-sullenberger/

“When a test pilot comes off a flight, there is typically another pilot who is going to take it up, and he believes in the debriefing. You don’t keep something to yourself.” - Wally Schirra
In aviation, almost every procedure, rule or regulation comes from an accident or incident that was meticulously studied to ensure it never happens again. Crises happen, but it’s about how you choose to learn from them that makes all the difference.
As a fighter pilot, it was after a flight in the debriefing room where the learning took place.
Debriefing is one of the most valuable tools we as pilots have to evaluate what worked, what didn't, why, and what we would do differently next time. As this is crucial to the aviation industry, it also translates into everyday life.
I want to take this opportunity to reflect on my proudest accomplishments, challenges, and lessons I will carry into 2023.
A Debrief of 2022:
I had the absolute honor of being nominated by President Biden and confirmed by the United States Senate as U.S. Ambassador to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in Montréal, a Specialized Agency of the United Nations.
At the beginning of 2021, I was able to represent the United States and reassert U.S. leadership as we faced multiple challenges throughout the globe including supporting economic recovery of international aviation during the pandemic, addressing climate change, and ensuring the safety and security of Americans when they travel by air.
This was one of the greatest honors of my life.

At ICAO, my learning curve was initially steep, but it reminded me that we can always learn new things at every stage of our lives. It was an experience that reinforced my commitment to continuous lifelong learning.

While serving as ambassador, I had the honor of presenting to the U.S. Air Force’s Lt. Col. Alex Pelbath, the inaugural Sullenberger Award for Courage for his leadership of C-17 aircrews in the evacuation from Afghanistan.
Lt. Col. Alex Pelbath embodies the values of leadership, bravery, integrity and honor by protecting the Afghan refugees and making the ultimate sacrifice for our nation.
Thank you, Lt. Col. Alex Pelbath, for your dedication, diligence and service.
Looking Ahead at 2023
After my public service as a diplomat, I am looking forward to engaging with new audiences and contributing to the many important conversations about the challenges we face and the ways we will address them.
Specifically, bringing awareness to climate change as our generation's existential crisis, and ensuring that the next generation of pilots are fully prepared to meet future challenges and travel demands. The obligation to protect and save lives is one that is understood clearly and felt deeply by aviation professionals.
I am encouraged by the aviation industry’s commitment to addressing both of these pressing challenges, and look forward to significant progress made in alleviating them.
Here is to the next year of learning, growth and progress.