airtraffic

Author Topic: 30 NY Tracon controllers eligible to retire this year?  (Read 20421 times)

Offline atc614

30 NY Tracon controllers eligible to retire this year?
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
i read a news article a few weeks back about the NY tracon having over 30 controllers eligible to retire this year. being that im a graduating CTI student in may, live in Westbury and wanted to be a NY Tracon controller since i was little; i am just wondering if this is all true and if anyone out there knew any more details about this.

Offline aevins

Re: 30 NY Tracon controllers eligible to retire this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
It's true. From what I've heard they're really looking for CPCs because they've had some training failures with OTS/CTIs. After the 90 days is up call and get a tour, they will be able to answer all of your questions.

Offline atc614

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
yah ive heard that the training is hard, but i also heard that no one wants to come to NY because of the high taxes, and expensive cost to live here. i really hope i get in

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »

To be honest, this is one of the reasons why I don't think the FAA will sack the controller involved with the "Bring your kid to work day" incident. For the past 3 - 4 years, the FAA has been hemmoraging controllers with an attrition rate so high that they can't replace them fast enough.

In all honesty, I think you'll have a good shot on getting in.

BL.

Offline aevins

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »

To be honest, this is one of the reasons why I don't think the FAA will sack the controller involved with the "Bring your kid to work day" incident. For the past 3 - 4 years, the FAA has been hemmoraging controllers with an attrition rate so high that they can't replace them fast enough.

In all honesty, I think you'll have a good shot on getting in.

BL.

Kennedy has had a few developments check out recently, with more trainees in the mill - one just arrived last Tuesday - and they have a low wash-out rate. Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on this for that case.

Offline GoCuse

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Any ideas for BUF/ROC/SYR/ALB? haha yes, I'm from upstate and also a CTI grad.

Offline tibey1204

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:08 PM »
As a controller at N90 I will tell you the wash out rate has to be about 75%. From what I'm told they are no longer going to place CTI's here as almost all fail out. I'm not being mean just telling you the way it is. You would be smart to go to a small tower first, get certified and bid back to the tracon. We will always be understaffed. Some trainees that wash out they fire, which means you can never work for the FAA again.If you get certified at a tower they can;t fire you if you don't make it at the tracon. Plus with experience your odds will greatly increase. I dont know the exact number but people are dropping like flies around here... If you have any other questions let me know