airtraffic

Author Topic: zny_cape ZNY JOBOC Sector  (Read 6020 times)

Offline wiedehopf

zny_cape ZNY JOBOC Sector
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »
Great Feed :)

Anyone know when you can hear the controller on that feed?
The days before the controller was loud and clear today only aircraft.

Sometimes it's very good combined with 133.5 (New York Center (Sector 86 Atlantic Oceanic High)) because the controller was the same so you could hear readbacks on 133.5 from aircraft on that frequency and the controller could be heard on the cape feed. Syncing them up with pausing on of the feeds is an art of its own ;)

Too bad the ominous sounding GIANT KILLER frequency for that part of oceanic airspace is not covered (was 118.12).
(Some military exercises yesterday)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: zny_cape ZNY JOBOC Sector
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »
We had interference on 133.500 that didn't seem to go away. Will check it out again to see if the interference is still there.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Added 133.500 back and also added Giant Killer. If the 133.500 interference returns I may have to remove it. Hopefully it will stay stable.

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
yeah i've heard the interference sometime on zbw_ron3, maybe it's the same :/

thank you for taking a look ;)

oh and i don't think me not hearing the controller had anything to do with the missing frequency, i could hear some jetblue checking in on 125.92 but not the controllers answer. so i guess sometimes they broadcast from one site sometimes from another? :)

(btw just heard some airplane check in at DOVEY and heard the controller)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:43:59 PM by wiedehopf »

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »
Added 133.500 back and also added Giant Killer.

AFAIK, Giant Killer in addition to 118.125 (used in W-386 and W-387A/B) also use 135.725 (used in W-107A) and 135.225 (used in W-105A/B). Might want to add those 2 as well as they cover airspace closer to the site (a separate dedicated feed would be ideal). Not sure where the transmitters are located ? Anyone able to hear the military controllers any of these 3 frequencies ?

so i guess sometimes they broadcast from one site sometimes from another?

That appears to be the case. The question is in addition to the Barnstable RCAG (covered by the LiveATC feed) where is the other RCAG site they are using ? The ZNY SOP lists a backup transmitter for 125.925 located in North Truro (near Provincetown), so might be there, or some other unlisted location ? Anyone know ?

JS 

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:05:59 AM »
yeah giantkiller is probably only used very rarely and i guess the frequency i mentioned is probably located more towards Atlantic City so i guess you can cut it from the feed if you want.

also the feed is being intermittent as in online offline repeatedly but most of the time it works so it's no trouble.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
yeah giantkiller is probably only used very rarely and i guess the frequency i mentioned is probably located more towards Atlantic City so i guess you can cut it from the feed if you want.

Yes the area covered by 118.125 is well out of range of this radio. Should have 135.225 instead as that area (W-105A) is well within range, and about half the area covered by 135.725 is in range.

Just listening to the feed this morning (1300 UTC) and the controller is 5/5 and the sector is combined with 133.50 and they have the frequency cross-coupling turned on.

JS

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 09:22:20 AM »

Yes the area covered by 118.125 is well out of range of this radio. Should have 135.225 instead as that area (W-105A) is well within range, and about half the area covered by 135.725 is in range.

Just listening to the feed this morning (1300 UTC) and the controller is 5/5 and the sector is combined with 133.50 and they have the frequency cross-coupling turned on.

JS

Updated to delete 118.125 and added 135.225 and 135.725. We can add 118.125 at ACY but, as mentioned elsewhere, it's not used heavily.

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:38:05 AM »
i'm wondering: is this an SDR receiver?

and if so does the number of frequencies monitored change response time?
sometimes it cuts out mid-sentence but i guess walking the squelch line is not easy :)

oh and whatever changes you made the description wasn't updated here: liveatc.net/search/?icao=hya
(i guess you update that separately)

have a nice weekend :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:43:18 AM by wiedehopf »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »
i'm wondering: is this an SDR receiver?

and if so does the number of frequencies monitored change response time?
sometimes it cuts out mid-sentence but i guess walking the squelch line is not easy :)

oh and whatever changes you made the description wasn't updated here: liveatc.net/search/?icao=hya
(i guess you update that separately)

have a nice weekend :)

Yes, it's an SDR. And yes, the number of frequencies monitored when in scan mode changes response time. No way to adjust that right now except to reduce the number of frequencies scanned. Right now the ZNY feed has four frequencies.

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 07:18:27 AM »
On the days traffic from the Atlantic is routed more south many flights go through Giant Killer. If it is not too much trouble to add even if the reception is just the aircrafts not controller it would be great.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
On the days traffic from the Atlantic is routed more south many flights go through Giant Killer. If it is not too much trouble to add even if the reception is just the aircrafts not controller it would be great.

You're talking about traffic routing via AR9, from ZIBUT to ORF. This is well out of range (over 300nm) of the JOBOC Sector radio at KHYA.

There is a new Giant Killer feed located at KACY where you can hear this civilian traffic on 118.125, but even from that location they are usually very weak and not always readable as the distance can be up to 175nm-200nm away from KACY on that AR9 route.

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kacy

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
so i wasn't gonna say anything but after waiting quite some time the feed still has regular disconnects probably on the source as the ack17/cape18 zbw feed disconnects at the same time.

can't imagine it has something to do with the added frequencies but i don't think the disconnects were there before. coincidence probably :/

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Internet issues at the site.