airtraffic

Author Topic: zny39/55 part 2  (Read 12979 times)

Offline znydan

zny39/55 part 2
« on: July 09, 2005, 03:23:05 AM »
hey there.  thought i would introduce myself.  i work with znypete at zny and he told me about this website.  i have to say, its really interesting seeing what people think about the sectors i work everyday.  its kind of cool to read an outside perspective.

anyway, i didnt realize so many people might just be listening to the frequency at any given moment.

note to self: lift foot off pedal before saying something incredibly inarticulate and stupid over the frequency.

its too bad there isnt a feed for sector 56; you guys could all hear the nightly horror show that takes place there.  that sector gets pretty hairy at about 930pm to 1045pm.

hope to read more insights from you guys.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 09:52:53 AM »
Quote from: znydan
hey there.  thought i would introduce myself.  i work with znypete at zny and he told me about this website.  i have to say, its really interesting seeing what people think about the sectors i work everyday.  its kind of cool to read an outside perspective.

anyway, i didnt realize so many people might just be listening to the frequency at any given moment.

note to self: lift foot off pedal before saying something incredibly inarticulate and stupid over the frequency.

its too bad there isnt a feed for sector 56; you guys could all hear the nightly horror show that takes place there.  that sector gets pretty hairy at about 930pm to 1045pm.

hope to read more insights from you guys.

Hey Dan,

Yea.  It is pretty neat to listen in!  And let me tell ya, we definitely think about what sector(s) your workin'.  Everyone who is apart of this web-site is very devoted to Air Traffic Control and operations.  

On your note to self *hehe* go ahead and say it; makes our lives interesting, as well as yours and the pilot  :P   I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with flying and ATC buddies about a controller who said something humorous.  We love to hear the comments; especially in the NY accent.  :lol:

Yea, the 56 sector seems like it would be a nightmare; just thinking about it's location.  Also - the 42 sector.  Does that get loaded up a lot?  My ZBW guys on 125.575 are constantly handin off to "Contact NY Centa on 1-2-7-point-1-7, C~ya!"  Must be a lot of southwest bound routes through ZNY's airspace coming from the IGN20 sector in ZBW to the ETX42 sector in ZNY.

Well thanks for writing in and feel free to ask *or answer, haha* any questions.  It's an interesting hobby and many of us would like (and probably will) go into Air Traffic Control as a career.

Thanks again and enjoy!

Jason

Offline MIAMIATC

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »
welcom avid artcc listener here since i was 12 years old and i am now 39. Simply put if there was a proigram for artcc listeners anonymous I would be it's poster boy. I live right underneath the border of 127.175/125.325 line in north jersey 7 miles ese of TEB you guys are awesome at what you do wish i would have chose that path for a career but i understand being 39 years old i would be too old to even make an attempt due to an age limit(?)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Age limit
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 01:53:35 PM »
Quote from: NYARTCCFAN
welcom avid artcc listener here since i was 12 years old and i am now 39. Simply put if there was a proigram for artcc listeners anonymous I would be it's poster boy. I live right underneath the border of 127.175/125.325 line in north jersey 7 miles ese of TEB you guys are awesome at what you do wish i would have chose that path for a career but i understand being 39 years old i would be too old to even make an attempt due to an age limit(?)

Unfortunately you're correct about the age limit.  The FAA will not hire new controllers past the age of 31 (with few exceptions).

Offline znypete

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 08:25:05 PM »
56 is definitely the "vector sector", and can be a lot of fun/terror. Believe it or not 42 is pretty much a hello/goodbye sector, although sometimes can get busy like around 2:00 when the international IAD's start coming in.  39 is high volume/low complexity for the most part, again IAD's can make it a pain (Dan knows this is my least favorite sector), It's pretty much just non stop talking in the afternoon.  55 can be a pain, it's not a very well designed sector with the rbv's mixing with the Lanna/Biggy departures, 1 prop at flight levels will hurt ya, 2 will kill ya, BTA's don't help either!  That brings me to 68, the best!  If you can get 118.97 at 4:00 on a thurs afternoon, you'll be in for a treat! Best way to describe it is  "controlled chaos."
Zny is only place I've worked (wouldn't have the first clue in the terminal environment)  
I apologize if this double posts  the computer has been screwy

Offline znydan

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 12:30:16 AM »
i totally agree with pete concerning 42.  talk about a snoozer.  not much to do but enforce restrictions and say hello and goodbye.  it used to be a pain at 2pm or so back when delta used to have the entire fleet landing at atl at the same time.  but now its our supervisor/traffic management refugee sector, where they keep their currency.  its typically too easy to screw up.

too bad the feed is down, i was at sectors 39/55 combined this afternoon with a large fast-moving thunderstorm cell passing through.  you all could have heard me gurgling. :lol:   i could only utilize about 25% of the airspace due to massive deviations and weather.  it was fun, but taxing.  anyway, i thought about you guys while i was down the tubes.

by the way, i was curious how the feeds work.  i had talked to one of the other guys at work some time ago concerning scanners.  he could only hear the pilots and not the controllers.  so, i assumed the transmitters worked like vors and shot up into the sky and could only be recieved if one was in line of sight.  does it depend on where one is in relation to the transmitter?

Offline BigOkie

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 12:44:36 AM »
i totally agree with pete concerning 42.  talk about a snoozer.  not much to do but enforce restrictions and say hello and goodbye.  it used to be a pain at 2pm or so back when delta used to have the entire fleet landing at atl at the same time.  but now its our supervisor/traffic management refugee sector, where they keep their currency.  its typically too easy to screw up.

too bad the feed is down, i was at sectors 39/55 combined this afternoon with a large fast-moving thunderstorm cell passing through.  you all could have heard me gurgling. :lol:   i could only utilize about 25% of the airspace due to massive deviations and weather.  it was fun, but taxing.  anyway, i thought about you guys while i was down the tubes.

by the way, i was curious how the feeds work.  i had talked to one of the other guys at work some time ago concerning scanners.  he could only hear the pilots and not the controllers.  so, i assumed the transmitters worked like vors and shot up into the sky and could only be recieved if one was in line of sight.  does it depend on where one is in relation to the transmitter?

I'm betting it does.  I live at about 36N/96W (Tulsa OK) and I get one good sector from ZKC where I can hear both the pilots AND controllers.  I live in a confluence of three ARTCC's (ZKC, ZFW, ZME) and hear Tulsa approach/departure controllers hand off to many different frequencies.  I only get ZKC Tulsa High (125.82).

BTW, would anyone happen to have a sector breakdown map of ZKC?  I know a lot of the frequencies, but none of the numeric codes.

Thanks in advance for that.

BigOkie

Offline PHL Approach

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 08:13:41 AM »

I know someone that lives in a great location out in NJ, and can recieve 42, 68, 56 and MANTA66. All those sectors I can't get, and I would love to have all of Area B as a feed. Speaking of how you wish JFK56 was on my feed, you guys should combine ARD55 with JFK56 more often. I usually would only hear that happen on Saturday nights. Or better yet, rally to get the other Area B transmitters moved to Flint Hill, PA  :D (Where I can pick up PARKE39, ARD55 and PTW92 (Area D). Dan, you are correct. Airband transmitters are VHF so they are line of sight. You don't exactly need to be able to have the antenna "see" the transmitter, but you would get the best reception that way. What myself and others do, is get an antenna outside and as high as you can get it.

Take it easy,
                Ed

BTW, I'm about 30 miles from the transmitter and I pick them up very clearly. Do you guys know that Sweedish girl? Is she still trying to get certed on ARD55?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 09:50:58 AM »

Interesting stuff.

too bad the feed is down, i was at sectors 39/55 combined this afternoon with a large fast-moving thunderstorm cell passing through.  you all could have heard me gurgling. :lol:   i could only utilize about 25% of the airspace due to massive deviations and weather.

I was out on my boat with a flying buddy of mine and man did it pour.  Those cells were pretty nasty...I remember the week before the 4th; on that Wednesday (I believe it was 6/29) those were level 5 cells rolling through ZNY and then ZBW.  Nasty stuff.

it was fun, but taxing.  anyway, i thought about you guys while i was down the tubes.

Thanks!  :lol:

You are so correct.  VHF is line of site, BUT many of us have external antennas (mostly located outdoors for improved reception) and with little terrain conflicts and interference, we can pick up the transmitters.  I pick up ZBW x-mitters in Shelton, about 20 miles north of my house.  The BDR x-mitters are on the field and about 20 to my southwest.  We basically have our typical radio-scanner which covers the airband (frequencies in the aviation band).  There is a jack located on the scanner that is used for external speaker, we basically take a 1/8" to 1/8" audio extension cable and plug it into the jack on the scanner and our "line-in" jack our computers.  On our computer we adjust volume levels and have a special program that broadcasts the audio to the stream URL's you and all of us listen to.

When our computer(s) are turned off, the program doesn't run simply because the computer is off, hense: Streams not up.  Some streams are purposely down on occasion for maintnance or other case-by-case reasons.  Most feeders are very good about that stuff and notify everyone in our "Feed Outage/Status Reports" section of the forum.

Quote from: PHL_Approach
BTW, I'm about 30 miles from the transmitter and I pick them up very clearly. Do you guys know that Sweedish girl? Is she still trying to get certed on ARD55?

HAHA, the sweedish girl.  I've always remembered that voice on ZNY on your feed Ed.  Good times, good times.

Offline PHL Approach

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 10:57:21 AM »
Quote from: BigOkie

I'm betting it does.  I live at about 36N/96W (Tulsa OK) and I get one good sector from ZKC where I can hear both the pilots AND controllers.  I live in a confluence of three ARTCC's (ZKC, ZFW, ZME) and hear Tulsa approach/departure controllers hand off to many different frequencies.  I only get ZKC Tulsa High (125.82).

BTW, would anyone happen to have a sector breakdown map of ZKC?  I know a lot of the frequencies, but none of the numeric codes.

BigOkie

Give 128.8, 135.55 and 127.8 a try. 128.3 might also be a possibility for you.

ZKC 62/ Low - 128.3
ZKC 72/ Low - 128.8
ZKC 27/High - 135.55
ZKC 6/ High - 127.8 (Not sure if that's correct)

Ed

Offline BigOkie

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 11:32:07 AM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
Quote from: BigOkie

BigOkie

Give 128.8, 135.55 and 127.8 a try. 128.3 might also be a possibility for you.

ZKC 62/ Low - 128.3
ZKC 72/ Low - 128.8
ZKC 27/High - 135.55
ZKC 6/ High - 127.8 (Not sure if that's correct)

Ed

Actually, from what I can tell, 125.82 is the old 135.55, which, about six months ago, was the one I was able to hear both on.  And I have all those frequencies plugged in, but get none except on 125.82, which I'm suspecting is ZKC 27 right now.  I haven't heard a peep on 135.55 in ages.

Offline PHL Approach

zny39/55 part 2
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »
128.8 is the same transmitter location. So try some other things, outside antenna, higher elevation.