Author Topic: ZBW - Boston Center (Misc)  (Read 36788 times)

Offline cysj_saintjohn

ZBW - Boston Center (Misc)
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
Boston centre is a great feed. but i do no like how it alternates between freqs. any chances for "Augusta Sector (AUG 02): 134.95" to be a permanent feed?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
The feed is designed to be a scanning feed with a sampling of a few sectors.  That particular receiver is too useful to lock on one frequency.

A better plan would be to find someone close to the sector transmitter and have them feed that one.  I believe that transmitter is in Augusta, ME.  I was there a few weeks ago and was able to receive it very well from my car.

Dave

Offline Claude Christie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 02:11:22 PM »
Hello CYSJ any chance you can set up a feed from CYSJ?  Or are you too far from the airport for good reception?  It would be nice to see a few more airport feeds from the Maritimes!!

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:47:02 PM »
>> i do no like how it alternates between freqs. <<

I agree. The present configuration with so many frequencies does not work at all. Another example of a very good radio and location that's unfortunately wasted by trying to scan too many frequencies. For some reason the operator (Dave) seems to think the majority of listeners prefer it this way. I find this hard to believe, but unless more people speak up about it I'm guessing it won't change. This is an ideal location for monitoring North Atlantic traffic heading to/from Europe, and compliments the radios located in Charlottetown and Sydney. Previously this radio was setup to scan 4 frequencies 134.950, 133.450, 127.825 and 128.750. With these 4 frequencies you got great coverage of the high sectors to the northeast, and while the traffic volume at times was heavy you could still follow what was going on most of the time. If Dave is still interested I'd be happy to put up the cash to buy a radio that could be dedicated to these select high sectors. Previously I was going to buy a Uniden BC350A, but I can't stand the annoying delay function they have built into them that you can't turn off. If anyone can suggest a similar type radio, with a delay function you can turn off, I might consider it again. Also for the Charlottetown guy, another great location for monitoring the North Atlantic traffic to/from Europe. Although given the traffic volume at times it would be much better if you had two separate radios so that you could separate the high and low altitude frequencies. I suspect there is a lot of interest out there in following the vast amounts of traffic heading overseas and I might also consider buying another radio that could be added in Charlotettown and dedicated to high altitude frequencies only. Another great location is Goose Bay, but there only the low altitude frequencies are being scanned. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:32:27 AM »
As they say somewhere, and I will say to anyone, put your money where your mouth is.  :-)

Everyone *wants*, but very few give (and I don't mean you DJ, you certainly give to the community with your time and expertise).  I would be happy to put up another feed here that is to anyone's liking, but not with my equipment.  It's for the same reason that I don't force feeders what to feed.  If they want to take requests, and agree with the requests, great.

As far as my ZBW feed, I never put this up for the purpose of pleasing everyone.  It's why the feed is still called zbw_test.  :-)

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 09:19:42 AM »
Dave,

>> As far as my ZBW feed, I never put this up for the purpose of pleasing everyone. It's why the feed is still called zbw_test. <<

I totally understand. I just figured by trying to start a popular uprising you might change your mind, but I certainly don't "expect" anything. How much of a donation would be required to get this radio dedicated to the 4 northeast high sectors ?

>> I would be happy to put up another feed here that is to anyone's liking, but not with my equipment. <<

When you say your equipment do you mean just the radio or everything else that's required ? If I bought another radio could you feed it from your location ? Or do you need another PC, internet connnection, antenna etc. ? I know we discussed this a couple of years ago, my impression then was you couldn't fit another radio into your system ? DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »
Quote from: JetScan1
Dave,

>> As far as my ZBW feed, I never put this up for the purpose of pleasing everyone. It's why the feed is still called zbw_test. <<

I totally understand. I just figured by trying to start a popular uprising you might change your mind, but I certainly don't "expect" anything. How much of a donation would be required to get this radio dedicated to the 4 northeast high sectors ?

It is not a matter of dedicating this particular radio.  I need the radio at times for other things, which is why I can't always dedicate it to this task.  It is my best scanner (BC-780XLT) and I only have one of them.  

When you say your equipment do you mean just the radio or everything else that's required ? If I bought another radio could you feed it from your location ? Or do you need another PC, internet connnection, antenna etc. ? I know we discussed this a couple of years ago, my impression then was you couldn't fit another radio into your system ? DJ

I just need the radio.  I have everything else.  

Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 10:49:40 AM »
Quote from: dave

It is not a matter of dedicating this particular radio.  I need the radio at times for other things, which is why I can't always dedicate it to this task.  It is my best scanner (BC-780XLT) and I only have one of them.  

IMHO, it was one of the best manufactered scanners Uniden has made yet.  I haven't had a single problem with it and it is such an incredible radio scanner.

They discontinued it and started making the 785D/796D for digital-able functionality, as you probably know, but there are still a few 780XLT's available on eBay.

Would another 780 be required or just simply another scanner?

Jason

Offline sean

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »
Quote from: dave
As they say somewhere, and I will say to anyone, put your money where your mouth is.  :-)

Everyone *wants*, but very few give

I have to agree...  I was amazed at how many people sent e-mails, and even disussed on here, about splitting up the KSFO feed and covering more frequencies with more streams.  They would even be dedicated streams - 1 frequency per stream!  Yet only 1 person has made a donation.  We have the skills to expand so many of these feeds to provide more coverage with better equipment, but no one seems to be interested enough to donate.  

Given the "popular uprising" that we got through e-mail, I expected more than 1 donation.  C'este la vie.

Sean

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »
But it's the Internet, isn't everything free?  :-)

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:41:39 AM »
>> I just need the radio. I have everything else. <<

Yes the bottom line is money talks, so I'll put some were my mouth is. If I paid for a Uniden BC92XLT could you set it up at your Boston location and tune it to the frequencies I request ? For the most part I'd have it dedicated to the northeast high sectors but from time to time I might want it retuned to check out some other areas. Cash isn't the problem, but my time is, if I gave you a PayPal donation to cover the cost of the radio, could you guys take care of purchasing it ? If we get good results with the BC92XLT in Boston I might consider buying one for San Francisco as well ? But only if I have control of what frequencies are tuned. Let me know. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
>> I just need the radio. I have everything else. <<

Yes the bottom line is money talks, so I'll put some were my mouth is. If I paid for a Uniden BC92XLT could you set it up at your Boston location and tune it to the frequencies I request ? For the most part I'd have it dedicated to the northeast high sectors but from time to time I might want it retuned to check out some other areas. Cash isn't the problem, but my time is, if I gave you a PayPal donation to cover the cost of the radio, could you guys take care of purchasing it ? If we get good results with the BC92XLT in Boston I might consider buying one for San Francisco as well ? But only if I have control of what frequencies are tuned. Let me know. DJ

That works for us, DJ.  I will coordinate with Sean.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 12:02:59 PM »
>> That works for us, DJ. I will coordinate with Sean. <<

Check your LiveATC.net e-mail, and we can work out the details. DJ

Offline Claude Christie

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »
I am using a PRO-2021 for the feed from CYYG with a dedicated antenna.  Think I saw somewhere about a mod you can do to speed up the scanning speed for this scanner.  If a 2nd computer, sound card, etc. is what is needed for an additional feed for just high level CZQM that would be my concern as I have only one computer.  One idea would be if I was home I could block certain frequencies during the high traffic times so that just high level channels were scanned then return the scanner back to all frequencies listed for the feed.  If this sounds reasonable let me know  the times of day and can give it a try.  I know DJ is interested in the high level flights over PEI.  I have not seen more than 4 or 5 listeners on the PEI site but as it's a new feeder site maybe that's normal.  Any suggestions for improvement using one computer, scanner and outside antenna would be welcomed.  My 2nd scanner PRO-2005 is used for all the other channels I normally scan for myself locally such as additional aircraft, fire and police.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 01:52:48 PM »
>> One idea would be if I was home I could block certain frequencies during the high traffic times so that just high level channels were scanned then return the scanner back to all frequencies listed for the feed. If this sounds reasonable let me know the times of day and can give it a try. I know DJ is interested in the high level flights over PEI. <<

If it's convenient for you, any chance we could try a test tonight ? Looking at the NAT tracks they are going to be central tonight, so most of the traffic will be passing directly through your coverage area. If you could set it up to scan all the Moncton high altitude frequencies in range of Charlotettown that would be great !

That would be the following frequencies only:

So if you could load the above in, with all delays off, no priority set, and no other frequencies, that would be great ! It would be just for tonight as a test, say anytime after 2300Z.

Charlotettown is just on the reception edge of Daves radio in Boston. If Dave can accomodate it, it would be good if he could retune his Boston Center radio to just 134.950, 133.450, 118.825, 128.750, 127.825 for tonight only. Then we would have continuous coverage of about a 550 nautical mile coridor right along the route of the majority of NAT traffic tonight.

See map below. 210nm range rings around Boston and Moncton, so you should be able to hear the handoff from Boston to Moncton on the Boston radio and the initial call with Moncton on the Charlottetown radio. Standing by if you can do it ?

https://www.notams.jcs.mil/common/nat.html

DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »
I will not be able to adjust the radio tonight...I can do it tomorrow or Thursday night, though.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 02:59:20 PM »
>> I will not be able to adjust the radio tonight...I can do it tomorrow or Thursday night, though. <<

Okay no problem. It's the Charlottetown feed I'm more interested in anyway. Thanks for the reply. DJ

Offline Claude Christie

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
Sure DJ I can do that for tonight.  I am working a 12 hour shift from 8 PM to 8 AM local so the scanner will be left scanning the list of high level frequencies for this evening and overnight.  I can just set up a 2nd bank of frequencies on the scanner and they will be there to select.  I can leave
the scanner like that until Dave can do his test covering the Boston ACC
area.  I will leave it scanning the high level traffic until I hear further.

Offline Claude Christie

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »
OK the scanner is now up and running high level only.  The only frequency I did not enter was 126.325 as this gave me a steady carrier on the scanner.  Enjoy the NAT traffic.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »
CFVDI,

That's great, thanks much !

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 07:45:32 AM »
DJ wrote:
Charlotettown is just on the reception edge of Daves radio in Boston. If Dave can accomodate it, it would be good if he could retune his Boston Center radio to just 134.950, 133.450, 118.825, 128.750, 127.825 for tonight only. Then we would have continuous coverage of about a 550 nautical mile coridor right along the route of the majority of NAT traffic tonight.

=====

Those frequencies are now active on /zbw_test until further notice.

GDM36 and CON37 (the two sectors for which I can almost always pick up the Center controller) are, and have been, available on:
http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/ma_area_milair_misc.m3u

-Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 12:37:49 PM »
Thanks Dave. Reception on both the Charlotettown radio and Dave's Boston Center radio are very good. The locations complement each other perfectly as you can hear aircraft take the handoff between Boston (134.950/133.450) and Moncton (127.125/132.700/135.200) on both radios. Just as you are about to lose them on one you start to pick them them up on the other. Both radios are pulling in signals from a distance of up to around 210 nautical miles easily. The only snag is the Boston radio hangs up on 134.950 for a few seconds after each transmission, sounds like slight interference with the squelch set to low. Combined with the radio located at Sydney you can follow some JFK arrivals from the Gander/Moncton FIR border right to the point were they get cleared to FL240 at TRAIT and handed off Boston on 135.800, a distance of around 700 nautical miles. To add to the test, I think it's Jason that runs the Bridegport radio, if he happens to read this and can retune his radio to 135.800, 128.300, and 134.000 only, you would have complete coverage of all sectors used by JFK arrivals/departures all the way from the gate to the Gander FIR boundary (on centeral and southern NAT routes) heading to/from Europe, including receipt of the Oceanic Clearance eastbound (which you can hear on the Sydney radio). DJ

Offline dutchmil

• http://www.dutchmil.nl/CE2007
RE: ZBW - Boston center (Misc)
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 09:45:59 AM »
Good afternoon Dave and all,

Just like DJ I like to listen to the Boston center feed very much, especially to catch the traffic heading to Europe and going Oceanic.

If it's not too much trouble Dave, could you please add 125.925 into the feed aswell. This is the New York center
frequency that handles Oceanic clearances and such. Thanks for your efforts Dave, they are much appreciated !!

Best wishes from the Netherlands,

René.
Live ATC feed from the Netherlands
http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/eham.m3u

Offline Jay

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 08:50:36 PM »
Are we really going to put 500 frequencies on the same feed :?: , I could only imagine the pure horror of trying to deceminate the action :cry:

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 08:51:56 PM »
How did you get to 500 Jay?  The mind boggles.  :-)