airtraffic

Author Topic: My New KONT Feed  (Read 2153 times)

Offline N6RFB

My New KONT Feed
« on: May 01, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »
Greetings follow aviation/radio enthusiasts!  My name is Richard Bush, N6RFB and my feed for KONT, Ontario International Airport went live today.

The feed is located at my home QTH in Corona, CA, 13.5 miles from the airport at an elevation of approximately 930’ AMSL.  I am currently using a Radio Shack PRO-2051 fed by a Diamond  D-130J Wideband Discone antenna thru a Stridsberg 4-port multicoupler.  I purchased a used BC-780XLT for this feed and promptly broke the volume/squelch pot while attempting to straighten a bent shaft.  Now a project for another day…….

My plans include splitting the App/Dep frequencies onto a separate feed and upgrading to an aviation band antenna feeding a second multicoupler.  Right now, with traffic levels down the all-in-one feed is adequate.  The Add/Dep frequencies can be quite busy with general aviation traffic, especially in the weekends.  I also monitor several high and low enroute frequencies and can reliably here the planes out past 29 Palms and down into San Diego County.

Short bio: Retied from telco engineering with AT&T and have been playing with radios on and off for about 50 years, starting with SW DXing and then getting into public safety monitoring with analog tuning and crystal-controlled scanners.  It was a big day when I got my Bearcat 210! Additionally, I hold a Technician class amateur radio license.

I am always open to comments and suggestions on my feed.  Cheers and 73!

Offline 777lrf

Re: My New KONT Feed
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 05:21:05 AM »
Greetings follow aviation/radio enthusiasts!  My name is Richard Bush, N6RFB and my feed for KONT, Ontario International Airport went live today.

The feed is located at my home QTH in Corona, CA, 13.5 miles from the airport at an elevation of approximately 930’ AMSL.  I am currently using a Radio Shack PRO-2051 fed by a Diamond  D-130J Wideband Discone antenna thru a Stridsberg 4-port multicoupler.  I purchased a used BC-780XLT for this feed and promptly broke the volume/squelch pot while attempting to straighten a bent shaft.  Now a project for another day…….

My plans include splitting the App/Dep frequencies onto a separate feed and upgrading to an aviation band antenna feeding a second multicoupler.  Right now, with traffic levels down the all-in-one feed is adequate.  The Add/Dep frequencies can be quite busy with general aviation traffic, especially in the weekends.  I also monitor several high and low enroute frequencies and can reliably here the planes out past 29 Palms and down into San Diego County.

Short bio: Retied from telco engineering with AT&T and have been playing with radios on and off for about 50 years, starting with SW DXing and then getting into public safety monitoring with analog tuning and crystal-controlled scanners.  It was a big day when I got my Bearcat 210! Additionally, I hold a Technician class amateur radio license.

I am always open to comments and suggestions on my feed.  Cheers and 73!

Thank you for providing this great feed!