airtraffic

Author Topic: Why did you become a LiveATC Feeder?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Sasquach

Why did you become a LiveATC Feeder?
« on: August 07, 2007, 04:36:26 PM »
I don't think this has been asked before.

Offline KMSY

Re: Why did you become a LiveATC Feeder?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:35 PM »
The real reason(s) why I wanted to provide a feed is:

One, I love aviation and ATC (Why else would you regularly post on these forums?)

Two, I like to see new and adventurous feeds coming online every month. I'm just doing my part in helping getting worldwide coverage. I also did this just in case someone was waiting anxiously for a feed from down here.  :roll:

Three, I also liked that the feed would be archived for 10 days. If something important to me or the airport happens, which wouldn't necessarily warrant posting a clip here, I'd like to have a record of it. For example, I'm probably, FINALLY, going to be starting on the first big step in my career and starting lessons next summer. I'd like to have a record, say, of my first solo/solo xc/check, and check back 10 years from now to hear how goofy I sound.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:36:27 PM »
Not a bad poll question, but in my opinion it is missing some good choices. 

My reasons were twofold:   The first that as a pilot I wanted to listen to and more importantly, critique my communications after each flight.  Seeing that LiveATC had a (at the time) two week archive, I thought it would be an excellent tool not only for me but for other green pilots.

Secondly, I wanted to give back to this excellent web-based resource and aviation in general.  I routinely talk to the chief instructor at the largest flight school in our area and he constantly tells me how valuable a tool the feed is to the students at his school.

Offline XTSKid

• KSNA Feed
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »
I did it because my computer is on all day most of the time doing nothing....so why not give it a purpose?  :-D

Offline Tom56

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
I was into flight sims and one day I stumbled in here. The rest is history.... hehee  :lol:

Offline janetva.net

• janetva.net
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:29:15 AM »
Thats a very good ?

Well for me it was the fame and glory of it all !!

LOL J/K :-)

But that sounded good (lol) nope I just had a lot of old junk laying around the house in boxes that I was about to put in the trash when I came across this web sight 

So I put that old junk to work and BAMM the KLAS FEED was born !

And to think I thought that no one would be interested in listing to my FEED and it would be a complete waste of bandwidth/time/money and all else that goes with it so I am very happy to see others enjoying KLAS ATC as much as I do.

How about that for a rags to riches story?

From my radio to your PC enjoy  :-D
http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/klas.m3u

EDIT
O ya the riches quote in case you didn't get it let me clue you in on this, there has never been any transfers of money involved in the FEED its strictly voluntereed on my part

Sorry they made me explain that joke (LOL)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:03:06 AM by janetva.net »

Offline edro20

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »
I did it to sorta 'pay back' the help that was given to me by listening on this site. I am still a student pilot and the real world is hindering me as far as that goes (i,e, job). Anyway, I have been given great compliments by the CFIs at the flight school that I have good radio skills. This does not come from reading a book. It came from the hours I have spent listening to ATC right here. The last time I flew, it was a little slow that day and the controller took the time to compliment me on the radio that I had "good phreseology" and that my landings were good. I thought that the landings were a little rusty, but I did think of this site and what I had learned. To you student pilots out there, this is a very important place to be. I used to turn it on and sleep with it on. I cant's tell you that this worked, but I do know that immersion into and ATC environment will only help you.

Offline Sasquach

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »
I did leave out several choices but I figured that any other choices would be added in replies...which they were.  And like someone said, that old 766MHz Pentium computer with no cover and a 12 year old monitor is of some use. 

My feeder computer looks like a junk computer that needs repair sitting beside my workbench in the garage.  The computer is actually sitting on its cover to get it off the floor some.  The feeder cost me exactly $2 to set up.  I had to buy some wire to make an antenna for it and that's it.  I'll get a picture of it eventually and post it.  It's not pretty but it works. 

What surprised me was how many people listen to KHSV in Huntsville,Al.  It actually makes it into the top 30 occasionally. Excellent!!