Author Topic: Who else uses AIR frequencies?  (Read 7198 times)

Offline Tomato

Who else uses AIR frequencies?
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:26:30 AM »
I was out last week and listening in to any air traffic that I could pickup and started to hear some crosstalk on the Approach frequency(s).  I figured it to be somebody's cordless phone, and they were talking about their kids and- nothing exciting.  Okay, so maybe it happens.

Then on Friday, I was listening in and Tower cleared an aircraft to land.  Okay, no biggie.  A few seconds later I hear them talking about "how they should avoid [highway] 401 and 427..." and I thought - that's interesting!  I've never heard of them talk about these landmarks before.  I checked the frequency and it was on 118.7 (CYYZ TOWER).  I thought maybe an aircraft or tower were communicating for some visual approach/landing.  The conversation developed and it was clear this was NOT the pilot/ATC communicating.

So, here's the question... who or what else uses AIR frequencies?  :)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 06:53:26 AM »
Nobody else should be using them.  Perhaps you were hearing crosstalk or intermodulation.  If not, then the users of the frequency were likely intruders.

Dave

Offline Tomato

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »
Bad intruders, bad! :roll: *scolds*

Thanks for the heads up though.  I certainly hope it's not intruders, and from the sounds of it, didn't meant like they wanted to intrude.

Offline Tom56

Re: Who else uses AIR frequencies?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
Quote from: Tomato
I was out last week and listening in to any air traffic that I could pickup and started to hear some crosstalk on the Approach frequency(s).  I figured it to be somebody's cordless phone, and they were talking about their kids and- nothing exciting.  Okay, so maybe it happens.

Then on Friday, I was listening in and Tower cleared an aircraft to land.  Okay, no biggie.  A few seconds later I hear them talking about "how they should avoid [highway] 401 and 427..." and I thought - that's interesting!  I've never heard of them talk about these landmarks before.  I checked the frequency and it was on 118.7 (CYYZ TOWER).  I thought maybe an aircraft or tower were communicating for some visual approach/landing.  The conversation developed and it was clear this was NOT the pilot/ATC communicating.

So, here's the question... who or what else uses AIR frequencies?  :)

I would say you picked up a couple of truckers using high power amps on their radios. If they run dirty they splatter across all kinds of channels.

Offline BMT

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:12:58 PM »
This same problem in S. Fl. was traced to non-FCC approved phone's brought into FL. One time the problem was so bad a NOTAM was posted.

BMT

Offline blizzard242

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 11:30:41 PM »
did the tower or the aircraft say anything about the interference.

Offline Tomato

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:31:33 PM »
I can't recall they did, then again, I had to go just as they were talking.  Also, the ATC side of things is a little fuzzy at time which doesn't help.

I'm leaning towards the crosstalk/dirty radio signals.  I haven't heard it since!

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 01:22:02 PM »
Pilots over flying on a wing and a prayer

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish Catholic priests illegally broadcasting Mass over the radio to housebound parishioners are suspected of creating a safety hazard for transatlantic jets, officials said Tuesday.

Irish communications regulator ComReg has spoken to three churches in central Ireland to warn them that their unlicensed transmission of daily and Sunday services might be creating problems for airliners as they flew overhead.

Offline Tomato

Re: Who else uses AIR frequencies?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:03:01 AM »
I thought I heard something similar again on the weekend... talk about going along one of the coastlines, and... turned out to be VFR traffic!  Somehow it's nice to hear the words "Contact _____ for flight following."  :)