airtraffic

Author Topic: Who controls aircraft over the atlantic  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Air Jamaica

• Soreing to new hights
Who controls aircraft over the atlantic
« on: May 06, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
Hey guy i have a question that i would greatly apprieciate an answer to. i would like to know which control center controls commercial air traffic accross the atlantic? thank you.

Offline Pygmie

Re: Who controls aircraft over the atlantic
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »
The majority of the traffic from North America to Europe and back is controlled by Gander Center, in Canada.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 01:19:40 PM »
I think it's pretty much split between Gander and Shanwick.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
I think it's pretty much split between Gander and Shanwick.

Doesn't New York also cover oceanic? I wouldn't think Gander or Shanwick would cover flights to Bermuda or the Azores from the eastern US..

BL.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
I dug up this picture... it kinda shows the territories and such. hope it helps.

:-)

Offline JetScan1

Offline JMM

• Fusion Wings
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »
New York Center has transmitters/receivers located here in Bermuda, to cover transoceanic flights as well as flights to & from Bermuda (TXKF).

All flights within 180-NM of Bermuda must contact & be controlled by New York Center on 128.5

Inbound traffic to Bermuda is eventually switched over to New York Approach on 119.1 when closer to the island.

Bermuda Airport's airspace is Class D, and extends out 5-NM and up to 2,500'.  Anything outside & above that is controlled by New York Center.  Most departing flights are already switching over to New York Center while their gear is still retracting and they're still over the runway. :-D

I hope to have my feed up within a couple of weeks, providing that when my equipment arrives I can get pretty good reception.  I don't know what the exact proportion is, but the majority of radio traffic would be New York Center communicating with high-fliers transitting our airspace.