Author Topic: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!  (Read 492849 times)

Offline flankerd

Re: Listener demographics...which one of the following is you?
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »
either im too stupid or it simply doesnt let me vote in this poll lol

I'm not a pilote or atc controller or anything, I'm simply interested in civil aviation and whats going on in the sky. I use FS 2004 to fly around the virtual sky (unfortunately offline till end of month). Planning to connect to VATSIM next month to fly in the "real virtual world" (lol). I'm listening to atc streams to get an idea of what flying in VATSIM will be like and to learn.

Offline backfeed

« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2007, 09:55:49 PM »
I am both a Ham operator and a communications enthusiast.  Many many many hours in radio and communications. 

Offline zmeatc

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2007, 08:35:49 PM »
Real world Controller at Memphis Center.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:47:31 PM by zmeatc »

Offline vz1

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
age 48

i started to get into the hobby of transporation when i took the train back to school when i was 10.  the transporation bug whent from train to bus and then to planes.  i started takeing picture of planes in the early 80's at bos jfk lga ewr and my home airport of phl.  since i cannot take any picture i have found liveatc.net and i am on cloud 9.  keep up the good work dave and the liveatc.net crew.

I am a Student Pilot and fly at KSCH Class D airport. I live about 1 SM from KALB class C airport Runways 1/19 and 10/28. I feed KALB.
     Many Student Pilots fly at uncontrolled airports and may not even be withen listening range of a controlled airport. ATC Live is a great learning tool for them and feeding KALB is just a way for me to give back a little something to help out the aviation community.  :D

Robin Rebhan
     Student Pilot
     Feeder for KALB

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »
Update on an earlier post. I am now an Air Traffic Controller at Fargo ATCT (FAR). Its an Up/Down!!

Offline eclipse500

« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »
I'm a 37 year old student pilot flying out of KSGR and KIWS. Unfortunately most of my hours flying are with buddies and not with CFI so I still haven't gotten my private pilots even after all this time. Also flight sim enthusiast with the purpose being honing navigation and instrument skills and with VATSIM and liveATC to hone radio skills. Have a position for an Eclipse 500 to be delivered in Q2 2008 and hope to fly it as PIC someday. Goal is to get PP then instrument rating followed with high perf. endorsement and multi followed by type rating. Also interested in flying rotary. I suppose I should get moving!

Offline Eva Maryam

• Jeb Blue Airlines
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2007, 12:47:47 AM »
I have to say that I love this forum. And I'm newbie here but thanks for all of you....
Eva Maryam

Offline bibber300

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »
I am a 51 years old and have been interested in aviation since I was a teenager. I took flying lessons about 20 years ago to learn to fly ultra lights. I never got to finish my lessons nor buy an ultra light, however, I love listen to ATC. I live 6 miles from CMH (Columbus, Ohio) and have my scanner on frequently, even though my wife thinks I am crazy and does not understand how I can listen to that stuff all the time. I also fly quite frequently on commercial airlines and I wish all airlines had a "channel 9" as United Airlines does which broadcasts ATC transmissions thought the flight. I discovered LiveATC.Net last year and I really love it. I will be making a donation soon and hope to see this site up and running forever. I also listen to this site at work and helps make the day go better. Keep up the good work.

Dana

Offline atcstephpilot

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »
I'm an ATC in trainning at  the Quebec Tower (CYQB)
Also have a Commercial Pilot licence, but only fly for fun now.

Offline eagle

« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
Guess I'm a communications hobbyist.. I'm a professional radio announcer who enjoys having LIVEATC.net on in the background all afternoon.. when I'm not live..

Dave

Offline navypilot

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2007, 11:00:16 PM »
New here as well.  I'm a Navy pilot and nearing the end of my time....or at least that's the plan.  Looking to get out and keep flying, as I'm an aviation fanatic, so I enjoy turning these feeds on in the background while I work.  Good stuff.

Offline FL Pilot 229

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
I am a Private Pilot Single
Engine Land

Offline arkangel06

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »

hi all
forgive me if i already posted this , its been a long time since i was last on and i forget

im jacob. and i work in a trade none of you mentioned

aircraft maintance  skins and structurs , the planes ive worked on include

my crews main project and most famous for

refurbushing a lockheed 12a ( 1937)

ive also worked on

boeing 727

astra jet spx

sea fury (ww2)

a waco bi plane

and a stemmie power glider

i have no pilots licence yet , I should have my students by next year

Offline kl

« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »

I am an air traffic controller at NYTRACON 127.4, 135.9, 132.4, 125.7, 118.4. I have 23 years on 11/4/07. Any of you people who are thinking of becoming an air traffic controller should rethink it. This administration illegally threw out our contract and makes up new rules every day. We will never get another raise and they cut our pay every Jan. I am working 3 times the amount of airplanes I was 3 years ago with 30 % less staffing. And it takes years off your life. This job sucks. Unless you're the ATM of BDR. Than all you have to worry about is what type of donut to have with your coffee.

Offline SooLineRob

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »
Communications enthusiast.

15 year career as a Locomotive Engineer, running freight trains. I happened upon this site last year, and find ATC communications interesting. Quite a bit different than railroad radio. Very good website here; user friendly, many "services", and a great bunch of members.

Offline dorishd

« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »

I have 23 years on 11/4/07.  And it takes years off your life. This job sucks.

WOW, time for you to get out. If you are that miserable, why don't you find another profession.

" By the way, I am a high school teacher, I see 180 students everyday, 40 of them who could care less about being here everyday. Every year they give us more students, sound familiar. However, I make a quarter of what you make, but I love it.  If I didn't love it, I would get out and do something else, instead of bad mouthing my profession."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:40:50 PM by dorishd »

Offline kl

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »

Hi Dorishd,

I'm one of the happy guys at work. I only have 1 year 1 month and 5 days left. This used to be the best job in the world, I loved controlling airplanes and management had the same goal as controllers. To move as many airplanes through the air safely, orderly, and expediously as possible. I thought I would work until I was forced to retire. Then they illegally threw out our contract. Then they cut our pay every Jan. They make up BS rules and harrass us over stupid things. The only thing holding the system together is the fine air traffic controllers I have the pleasure of working with every day. And every one of them knows exactly how may days until retirement. A new hire controller trainee makes under $9.00 an hour now. Who's gonna take that? For further info you can check out a couple of blogs: themainbang.com or faafollies.com written by controllers.

By the way I think a high school teacher is an extremely important job and under rated and under paid. You are helping to form the future of our country. A big difference between my job and yours is time. I don't have time to ponder a decision with a closure rate of 10 miles a minute between airplanes. And I love the actual work part of my job, It's the morons who run the FAA I hate. I've spent 23 years doing every thing in my power to keep the skies safe. These idiots are going to kill people. Like the 49 people they killed last year in Lex.

Offline navypilot

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »
A new hire controller trainee makes under $9.00 an hour now. Who's gonna take that?

Have you seen what a new hire pilot at the regionals makes? 

Spare us this mess.  This isn't the site for whining and complaining about how you feel screwed by "the man."  Especially when your complaints will fall on deaf ears....many people would be happy with $9 an hour at an entry-level job.

I'd re-evaluate your priorities sometime soon.

Offline maddogatc

« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2007, 01:12:11 AM »
I am a private pilot (20 years), skydiver (500 jumps) and a Supervisor at Chicago ARTCC.

roSex

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2007, 02:07:04 AM »
why there isnt a"student ATC"? :?

Offline DashDriver

« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2007, 03:24:02 AM »
ATP, fly the Dash 8 for now.  Currently job hunting.

Ya'll have probably heard me in PHL a few times.  I'm the guy with the southern accent who is generally has a wise crack or two when on the air. :-D

Offline ZAUATC

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
Im a controller at Chicago Center and a Private Pilot. I listen mainly to Sydney and Melbourne ATC because Im from Australia...If anyone wants to help me set up a feed from my house (15 miles from ORD) let me know how and ill be happy to do it.

Offline Seafleet

« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2007, 03:43:55 AM »
Wow takes me back longer than I want to admit to. :-D
My uncle worked for BOAC and on some Saturdays  my dad dropped me off at the BOAC MX hanger and I just sat and marvelled.
I also used to spend virtually everday of my summer holidays on the viewing gallery on the Queens building at LHR where they had loudspekers broadcasting the tower. I marvelled at all the exotic places these planes where flying to. [flying in those days was for the rich only]
I really wanted to become  an ATC but didnt  get my degree at university so that went down the toilet but the seed had been sown.
I  have spent many hours of my life at airport perimiter fences with a scanner and am now an avid fan and listener Of ATC Net.
Now living in Santa Cruz CA I listen to SFO mostly  but wish the UK rules could be relaxed so I could listen to LHR occasionally.
Have to say wouldnt want to be in ATC in USA right now far too much asked of  far to few, heart attacks must be a regular occurence in senior controllers because of stress.
God Bless all ATC's
Roger

Offline Fastattack

« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2008, 01:05:23 AM »
Private Pilot
mostly gliders though hehe..

about to get my single engine power rating

Offline Airforceguy24

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »
I'm currently and Air Traffic Controller for the United States Air Force. Working stateside.