Author Topic: where is the EICK feed gone?  (Read 6406 times)

Offline bogman

where is the EICK feed gone?
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »
Are the two EICK feeds deleted?

I never saw the airport so busy today becaus of people going on holidays,but at least 50% of the air traffic were going to the rugby cup final in Cardiff.I couldnt listen to my scanner as I was busy so I was hoping to listen to the archives, but to my disappointment no.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: where is the EICK feed gone?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:50:51 AM »
As has been stated numerous times on this board, feeds are provided by volunteers and not some big, deep pocket company called LiveATC, Inc.

There is no control by the site founder over whether a volunteer provides a rock solid, 100% up-time feed or decides that playing Call of Duty is more important and therefore takes the feed down.  At some point LiveATC removes feeds from the list that have gone dark, which apparently is the case here.

If you know of someone who is willing to provide a feed for that airport and treat the feed like a service rather than an afterthought, then by all means enlist that volunteer.

Offline bogman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
As has been stated numerous times on this board, feeds are provided by volunteers and not some big, deep pocket company called LiveATC, Inc.

do i sense some anger? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
No, just boredom.  You know, the kind that sets in after listening to a record (remember those?) that skips repeatedly?  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-P

Offline bogman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
No, just boredom.  You know, the kind that sets in after listening to a record (remember those?) that skips repeatedly?  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-P
Sorry Pete,I was just wondering what the story was with them,because they are on the list form God knows how long and are never active.

I kow where you are coming from and understand it I suppose my question was directed to Dave or Jason because iI thought the might have heard from the feeders.

Once again I apologise.One question how long does a feed  be inactive to be deleted or does the feeder notify the administration team?

Offline m50

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »
Why dont we have a rule that if there has been no achivity on a site for six months ,that the site be delisted    M50

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
Why dont we have a rule that if there has been no achivity on a site for six months ,that the site be delisted 

From what I recall Dave is working on a totally automated way of de-listing feeds that have been dark for some period of time.  If it is now not in place it will be soon.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:16:21 AM »
I kow where you are coming from and understand it I suppose my question was directed to Dave or Jason because iI thought the might have heard from the feeders.

In a perfect world it would be excellent if anyone who volunteered a feed would also put some effort into maintaining a high up-time, but it does seem reality falls a tad short of that dream.  From what I have seen here over the last few years a feeder occasionally will disappear without a trace.  I would speculate that due to the site founder's commitment to his primary job (which is not this site) he does not have the time to track down the cause of every silent feed and instead has to deal with this through automation, a feature coming soon.

I also have read rumors of this site offering feeder contact information next to feed listings to allow avid feed fans a method for going right to the source.  This of course assumes that each feeder permits this and there probably are going to be some who don't want the attention.

Personally I would like to see feed stats being maintained, too, since I would like to know what feeds consistently score high up-time.  This would give those of us feeders with small listener numbers something to crow about.  :)