airtraffic

Author Topic: whats your best pilot/ATC moment?  (Read 21449 times)

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

whats your best pilot/ATC moment?
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:25:32 PM »
if you've got a funny, sad, enjoying, or special moment in your aviation career, lets here about it!  if you wish to share!

so far, mine would be my 1st x-country solo! from beaver county to port meadville.  no better feelin when your a student and you are the sole controller of the aircraft, no instructor to help.  its controlled freedom! (as i put it)

Offline nfredrich

Re: whats your best pilot/ATC moment?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:43:52 AM »
Getting the phone call from the Office of Personnel Management stating that my medical and security cleared, I have been assigned to the March 31st Basic Terminal class.

tied with - receiving my final offer letter and orders to report to Oklahoma City.

Offline Greg01

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
Receiving my PPL and IR on my 17th birthday.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »
Probably soloing on my 16th birthday, followed closely by receiving my private pilot certificate a few days after my 17th (was IMC for a good few days on and following my birthday) and going to FlightSafety KingAir B200 recurrent with my dad when I was 8 years old.

Good thread topic, thanks for posting it.

Best,

Offline Greg01

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »
Good call, Jason. Almost forgot about the soloing part. There's something about being able to fly an airplane alone before you can even legally drive a car (in NYS, at least)!

Offline ngreed

• Detroit Spotters
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
Getting my PPL and then my PMEL

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »
your welcome, jason!   

if anyone has any more stories, that may not necessarily be their best moments, but still are interesting,  post 'em all!!!  lol

-NAplaya

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:37:09 PM »
Back in 2003 I was flying an Angel Flight in a C172 from Philadelphia up to Bedford, Mass.  Crossing over Long Island we were cleared direct to the JFK VOR at 5,000 feet.   It was a cool sight to see a couple of 747 departures out of JFK looking straight down at them.  However, that was only the warm up.

A lone thunderstorm cell, perhaps towering up to 35,000 feet or so, grew out of the haze straight ahead in our windshield.   Not having any on-board weather to confirm the cell's location I called NY approach and asked for 10 degrees left to deviate around weather, thinking the cell was fifteen miles ahead in our path.  NY replied that there was nothing on his scope for at least 80 miles but deviation approved as requested anyhow. 

After speaking with Flight Watch, my pilot-rated friend in the right seat informed me that this cell was actually heading towards Providence, Rhode Island, or at least  100 miles away.   Whoops, I guess the first time seeing a thunderstorm cell from the air was an overreaction.   Anyway, since the sun had just set the lightning moving up and down the cell was very predominant.   Suddenly, the full moon slowly rose from behind the cell.  With lightning flashing in the cell and a full moon slowly appearing above it, it was surreal.   Unfortunately neither of us nor the AF passenger had a camera to record the moment.

Offline zmeatc

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
Mine was working real traffic for the first time. Well, at least from the D-side.

Offline ogogog

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:13:31 AM »
the day i turn in my retirement papers and tell the FAA to kiss my A$$.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:15:42 AM by ogogog »

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »

LOL! I think theres ALOT of people that feel the same way. haha

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »

Cool - we get to post future-dated events here, too.

Mine is:  Receiving my type rating for the A380.

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
My best moment was when I got my PPL. However, that will soon be replaced when I get facility rated as an air traffic contoller.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
ive seen these abbreviations alot,  PPL and PMEL???  What do they stand for and what do they mean??

-NAplaya

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
Private Pilot License (as opposed to CPL, commercial pilot license) and Private Multi Engine Land.

Another common abbreviation pilots use is PPL-ASEL, which is Private Pilot License - Airplane Single Engine Land. 

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »
o crap!  i shoulda known that.  i thought PPL referred to something involved in the ATC area.  lol

I shoulda guessed private pilots license, since im currently workin on gettin mine right now.  im pretty close too!

thanks

-NAplaya

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
I shoulda guessed private pilots license, since im currently workin on gettin mine right now.  im pretty close too!

Ha!  Then you have some abbreviations to memorize, as I believe these are questions on the PPL written exam that you will have to take soon.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »

Ha!  Then you have some abbreviations to memorize, as I believe these are questions on the PPL written exam that you will have to take soon.

Even though a PPL (Private Pilot License) does not exist?  It's a certificate:-)

Offline Greg01

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »
I have to agree with Jason here...that's one of my pet peeves. Certificate, not license.  ;)

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »
haha nice!

Offline Hollis

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
Not necessarily one of the best moments, but I was doing some airwork with my instructor and had just rolled out of a tight turn when the engine quit. The instructor looked over at me and yelled "What'd you do?". Thinking he had pulled the throttle on me, I said "Me?...nothing!". His next words were the classic..."Oh sh..!".

p.s. - We did finally get a re-start while I was lining up to a nice long fairway on a golf course. We climbed back up and made it ti the airport about 10 miles away. The problem was ice in the fuel line.

Offline bogman

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »
The problem was ice in the fuel line.
Must have been a chilling experince :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline Robin Rebhan

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
My Solo at KSCH. After dropping my CFI off at the tower, I started my takeoff and landings. Unknown to my CFI the 109th Air National Guard was very soon to be in process of Combat Air Assaults at KSCH with C-130's and also from out of the area a C-17. Short field takeoff and landings, skids off the back of aircraft, parachute drops and etc. To me it was way cool! To my CFI sweat was forming on his face!  :-o   Head ATC in the tower took it all right in stride. Really great getting Congrats from Pilots in the Air Guard on Tower Freq! My CFI resumed breathing after I parked the plane  :wink:

My other was doing my solo X-Ctry and coming back to KSCH with a coyote trying to make dinner out of flock of turkeys or geese near the active runway. Did a low pass to establish intentions of fore mentioned, scattered the flocks and quickly made a landing before all the critters regrouped near runway.

Right now trying to get creative in raising funds to complete Instrument and go on to commercial rating and perhaps CFI. <--- at 58 with family this will be the most memorable in the future.

May all your memories of flying be happy ones! - Robin Rebhan

Offline FlySafe

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
NWA ARJ
 You will get a separate CTO ...If you do not have a CTO yet and have the results of the exam you have to provide the exam results, just like a pilot  ....do not surrender you pilots certificate!

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 10:15:41 PM »
My best moment was when I got my PPL. However, that will soon be replaced when I get facility rated as an air traffic contoller.

I think he meant the moment will soon be replaced, not the PPL.