airtraffic

Author Topic: What are the best schools to become an Atc ?  (Read 68829 times)

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
Re: What are the best schools to become an Atc ?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 03:12:10 PM »
UND is the best school hands down. If you want to know why send me a message and I will tell you.

Offline AirK

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 12:06:15 AM »
Hey thanks for taking the time to go through that. I went ahead and applied even though I'm enrolled at Embry Riddle. I figure I would just go ahead and do both and see what happens. Its just too bad that the close out day is close to the day that I start school.

Offline ATCWanAaB

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 06:34:52 PM »
Did you meet either the 3 year work requirement or the 4 year college degree requirement? Just curious because applying would be useless if you have not met either of them.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 07:12:03 PM »
Did you meet either the 3 year work requirement or the 4 year college degree requirement? Just curious because applying would be useless if you have not met either of them.

Or a combination of work experience and semester credits.

Offline AirK

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »
I have about 70 credits from a community college I went to after high school and also been working at the same job for 4 years. The 70 credits comes out to like what, 2-3 years or something? I forget how that gets calculated
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:48:38 PM by AirK »

Offline AirK

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »
anyone know how long after the public application closing date till you get to take the test?

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 01:54:41 AM »
anyone know how long after the public application closing date till you get to take the test?

It depends. The last hiring, people were getting the approval to take the AT-SAT show up in their ASAP only a few hours to a day after completing the application. They would then be able to take the test a week to two weeks after getting the approval. Now the first OTS openings through ASAP last year. It took my friends 6 to 7 months to get to take the AT-SAT.

Offline jdfmoc

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 10:27:29 AM »
I wish Riddle had a stricter requirement to be recommended. 3.0 or 3.2 would be better. I don't keep myself fully up to date on the names of the companies that have made our sims, but Riddle just got a new EnRoute Sim a year ago. So I don't know if it is still Adacel.

I think Riddles new EnRoute Sim is awesome. (Not that I would know how good it is.) But the 2 guys from ZDC that are working in that sim with us say they like it. (But they might just be saying that.)

What I do know is that it is that we are working Memphis Center Sector 66, which is the same sector you work at OAK. This is a huge advantage.

Are other schools using that sector in their EnRoute classes?

My understanding is that Riddle got their Adacel system in 2003.  And yes, Beaver also uses JAN-LO, Sector 66 for both non-radar and Radar Associate.

Why are there 2 guys from ZDC in yor class at Riddle?  I'm assuming they're not controllers, Remote Pilot Operators, maybe?  Take RPO opinions with a grain assault, they have the illusion of having knowledge of center ops but they have DySim experience only.

Riddle updatd there lab in 2006 to Xavius ATC System. They just updated their Terminal Lab and Tower in the Summer of 2007 to Xavius. No more adacel products on the campus of riddle. Riddle now has three tower sims, 1 15 station Terminal Lab and 1 9 Station Enroute Lab. They are all state of the art. I enjoyed my education at riddle. I do agree working in the tower at beaver sounds fun.

Offline DreamingATC13

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
Ok so if right now you had to make a list of the top 5 CTI schools what would they be and in what order. From sounds of things i expect UND, Riddle, and Beaver, but im curious as to the schools that might fall slightly behind them. And for the CTI forum members do you believe the CTI Program prepared you well for what you faced during the academy and help you learn faster during your training period at your facility? Thank You.

Offline NWA ARJ

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
If I had to rank them it would go like this:

1.UND
2.ERAU
3.Beaver
4.Anchorage
5.Purdue

I believe that if I had not gone to a CTI school it would have been alot harder for me at my facility. I believe that the CTI program was well worth it to get the degree. I also believe it helped to get my private pilot certificate and my instrument rating. But from what I have heard about the OTS hires is that they are not doing very well. I also like the fact that I have a four year degree, and if I ever want to do something different, then I can. So I would definitely recommend going to a CTI school, and one of the five listed above!

Offline DreamingATC13

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
NWA ARJ, Thank You very much for the feed back and I believe that I will definetly be heading to a CTI School for my degree. What school did you attend and did your school offer the Air Traffic Managment degree or did you have to take some other aviation degree that included the CTI curriculm. I just wonder because I know some schools offer the 4 year degree that is strictly air traffic managment but many other schools have other degrees like aviation managment which is more buisness related but carries the CTI classes with it.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
Let me just preface by saying I'm a CCBC grad '03.  My rankings look like this:

1. Tie - Beaver (CCBC)
           UND
2. UAA (Alaska)
3. MCTC (the former MARC school)
4. Middle TN State Univ (MTSU)
5. Riddle

My opinions are based solely on how I see each of the schools' graduates performing in the field throughout the training process (myself included).

Before the Riddle people get all offended, I have them ranked that low because I see a fundamental flaw in their program -- they have all sorts of wizbang stuff and tons of $$, but when it comes down to it they're more interested in turning a profit than they are putting out a good product...and that flaw was pointed out to me by several of their alumns who are struggling in training.

UAA has a great faculty and is committed to equipping its student body with every resource possible to succeed in the FAA.  Every one of their students I've seen was a legitamate prospect.

I don't know much about MTSU's program but overall their grads seem to be very successful in training. Same goes for UND, which also has a tremendous network of resources available to its alumni, and their tower sim is pretty amazing.  All the MARC people I work with are very good, so if the new program is anything like their old one it's definitely a contender.

CCBC, well what can I say?  You get to work real live traffic in a VFR tower before you even go to the academy.  That's hard to top.  It's one of the only schools which actually screens its students after they're enrolled.  When I was there we had about a 15-20% washout rate in the facility rating classes (tower).  The faculty there is amazing, and focused on one goal...to turn out the highest quality graduate for the FAA.  Profit is a very distant second priority since it's a Community College.

Offline mk

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »
well what would you say if i said over half of the ccbc grads have already flunked my facility???  doesn't mean ccbc doesn't do they're job.   

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
well what would you say if i said over half of the ccbc grads have already flunked my facility???  doesn't mean ccbc doesn't do they're job.   

I'd say it's an anomaly

Offline mk

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
anomaly?? Right...has to be...not.  plus figure that there are 4 to 1 riddle grads over ccbc grads per year. i'm not saying 100% of riddle grads are gonna make the grade... but then again...no one from riddle has left...but we're at a level 12 here.  so maybe it's just natural selection when working/ trying to learn with insane traffic and airspace.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:50:30 PM by mk »

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 12:29:21 AM »
not to interject here, but its really hard to label a school better than another!!    each school has its positives an negatives whether it be technology, training techniques, professors, etc.     regardless of anything, it all comes down to one thing, WORK ETHIC!!!  if a person has the drive and is willing to succeed then, to me, regardless of where they come from, they will make it as an ATC!!

(now, since im only 19, this is my young and adolescent attitude, which could very well change as i get further along, but for now, its how i see it)  haha

Offline NWA ARJ

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »

I would say you work at a TRACON and the Beaver kids trained on LIVE traffic in a tower. Kinda makes a difference in that case if you go to a tower vs a tracon.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 05:58:17 AM »

I'd also say that you're a moron and I'm not going to engage in this debate with you anymore (since I try not to debate morons)....except to say this:

We've had one washout at my facility in the past 3 months -  a Riddle grad.  But hey we're just a level 12 here so maybe it's natural selection.  A buddy of mine at DAB said they had a Riddle grad wash out on Clearance Delivery.  HOW DO YOU WASH OUT ON CLEARANCE DELIVERY??

Offline AirK

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 09:40:56 AM »
like NAplaya16-ATC says, it all comes down to the person and not the school. Just because some grads from riddle or some grads from another school happen to be 'washed out' because of the type of work they do, doesn't make the school any worse than the other. And like some people have stated, some of the OTS guys are doing just as good, if not better, than the CTI guys so what does that tell you  :-D

Offline mk

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »

I'd also say that you're a moron and I'm not going to engage in this debate with you anymore (since I try not to debate morons)....except to say this:

We've had one washout at my facility in the past 3 months -  a Riddle grad.  But hey we're just a level 12 here so maybe it's natural selection.  A buddy of mine at DAB said they had a Riddle grad wash out on Clearance Delivery.  HOW DO YOU WASH OUT ON CLEARANCE DELIVERY??

wow...so up tight...sorry i'm such a "moron".   your beaver guys didn't even make it to floor...which means, genius, they didn't even get a chance to train....  so go figure...but it is def individuals involved...they were nice guys, just not for this job.  some of my best friends here are ccbc grads and they're all great...

if i'm such a moron then explain me being the first CTI to get a scope and now D3 at my facility???  another "anomaly" to you davojjjjj  check yourself before you spout off at the mouth
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:22:54 PM by mk »

Offline mk

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »
like NAplaya16-ATC says, it all comes down to the person and not the school. Just because some grads from riddle or some grads from another school happen to be 'washed out' because of the type of work they do, doesn't make the school any worse than the other. And like some people have stated, some of the OTS guys are doing just as good, if not better, than the CTI guys so what does that tell you  :-D

just to clarify, i do agree with you AirK and everyone else here that knows that schools don't matter when it comes down to it...they can help or they can hurt, but the individual makes it happen....i have a good friend at ATL Tracon...never had a sim in CTI school...they just read the rules...and he's makin' it just fine in ATL.  but i'm a moron, what do i know

Offline DreamingATC13

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
Well I didn't know my questions were gonna get this much debate.lol But after checking out all 23 approved CTI schools I think I have narrowed my choice down to Middle Tennessee and Beaver. I see Riddle is very good and high tech but i just dont have the money to attend a school like that. Thanks alot for all the feedback, I have been to other aviation sites and have posted questions like the ones before and nobody feels like taking the time and effort to help people trying to get into the air traffic field so thanks.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »
Well I didn't know my questions were gonna get this much debate.

You could have posted "the surface of the sun is hotter than the Earth" in an aviation forum and there would have been several posts disagreeing with one aspect or another of this fact, two posts criticizing your grammar, and one post expressing anger because the author thought you were insulting a family member.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »
And let's not forget the obligatory links to other threads where the subject has been covered ad nauseam.