airtraffic

Author Topic: Web Links Missing  (Read 16607 times)

Offline tuckerchops

Web Links Missing
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
Greetings, is there a reason why all the BETA web links are missing from the Class D's? I usually listen using the "firewalled" web link but now it's gone.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Web Links Missing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »
Trying to conserve some space...just use the built-in Flash Player that is now there.  It connects on the standard web port (port 80) so you should be fine.

Unless you have some other funky requirement or reason to have the links there.

Dave

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »
Thanks Dave, yea, while I am at work I listen to my son's flight training at KASH. Unfortunately my compnay firewalls this stuff, so the "firewalled" link was the only one that worked.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »
If you click on the Flash Player link, does that work?

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
unfortunately not, I always had to use the second link which indicated (if firewalled). If you can provide me with the link I can jot it down for future use, will that work? I listen to KASH Nashua under the class D's. Thanks!

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
unfortunately not, I always had to use the second link which indicated (if firewalled).

Just for clarification, are you absolutely sure you are attempting the link with the word FLASH next to it, as annotated here:

If the firewall link to which you were referring worked, this link should, too.

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »
Peter, yes, there used to be be 2 URLs there that I could copy and paste into my browser. The first link never worked, just timed out, always had to use the second link indicating (if firewalled). This is only a problem at work though. All options work fine at home. Problem is my son flies while I am at work.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »
Your company must be using a special firewall to block those.  I'll spare you the details and put the links back.

Sigh.

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 03:42:52 PM »
Dave,

Greatly appreciated, and sorry to cause a hassle. As soon as I figure out how to get around this I will certainly let you know. Thanks again

Jim

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
Send me a PM if you can find out what firewall your company is using.  Ask your IT guy if they have live media content filtering turned on or if they are filtering by file extension or something like that.  Just curious and it will help me out a little.

Dave

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »
Peter, I just realized I did not answer you correctly. Yes, I did attempt all of the LISTEN buttons without success. The flash button displays the player but I get no audio. The java player just times out. I will keep trying different things to see if I can work this. In the meantime thanks for the link Dave, back in business, and just in time for my son returning from his cross country.

Jim

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
will do Dave, thanks

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
Peter, yes, there used to be be 2 URLs there that I could copy and paste into my browser. The first link never worked, just timed out, always had to use the second link indicating (if firewalled).

Sorry but I am still confused so bear with me a moment:   Does your view of the LiveATC page for the KASH audio links look like the screenshot I posted?

Do you see the link on your website that my red arrow there is pointing to?

You keep referring to the original and the IF FIREWALLED link, but you have yet to acknowledge if you have tried either of the other links there.

Unless, as Dave pointed out, your company's firewall is somehow blocking those OTHER two links, as if they filter out FLASH?

EDIT:  DISREGARD - didn't see your second post until after this one went up...

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »
Send me a PM if you can find out what firewall your company is using.  Ask your IT guy if they have live media content filtering turned on or if they are filtering by file extension or something like that.  Just curious and it will help me out a little.

I am perplexed, too.  That company must be somehow filtering streaming audio/video through Flash objects but not streaming content in general, given that the old link works for him?   Probably a way to prevent employees from streaming video ala YouTube, perhaps?

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
This is only a problem at work though. All options work fine at home. Problem is my son flies while I am at work.

Another idea:  Absolute worst case is to wait until the bottom and top of the hour when the 35 minute archive MP3 clip is saved and download it from the archives.  Not live, but at least it will be the entire audio.

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:16 PM »
actually, interestingly enough, Youtube works just fine here. probably because they advertise through Youtube videos.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
actually, interestingly enough, youtube works fine

Glad to read that.  Nice to see that your company isn't concerned about filtering out that productivity-reducing site.  :) :)   Just the educational sites.

What browser are you using at work?  IE, Firefox, or some other?

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »
using IE7 here

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »
Do you have the option to install and run Firefox 3.0 at your work computer?  Or are you restricted from installing software on those PCs?

Firefox download found here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:04 AM »
I do but it doesn't play well with the business apps I have loaded. I use it at home all the time though.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »
I do but it doesn't play well with the business apps I have loaded. I use it at home all the time though.

If you have the patience and curiosity, I wonder if your issue of not being able to use either the built-in Java or Flash audio streamer apps is an IE7 thing and not a firewall thing.

Do you have FF installed now?  If so, could you test this theory by using FF to go to LiveATC and trying one of the built-in streamers?

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »
I don't have FF installed here at work, breaks some of my apps. I will try the buttons when I get back home.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »
I don't have FF installed here at work, breaks some of my apps. I will try the buttons when I get back home.

Okay, never mind.  Testing from home doesn't involve your work firewall, so that won't prove or disprove anything.

I'll let this troubleshooting opportunity go.  :)

Offline tuckerchops

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:54 AM »
being a technical guy, I am on a mission to figure this out, will keep you posted