Author Topic: Question about antenna's.  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Nathan Milarta

Question about antenna's.
« on: February 05, 2007, 08:31:42 PM »
Hello,

I have my scanner hooked up to an outdoor antenna.  The instruction booklet to the scanner said that if you have an outdoor antenna hooked up to your scanner that you should not us the original indoor antenna.  Currently I have both antenna's hooked up on the scanner.  What I want to ask is, does it matter if I have both hooked to the scanner?  It seems to work fine with both.

Thanks!
-Nathan

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
Re: Question about antenna's.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:52:26 AM »
Generally and in theory it's better to use just the outdoor antenna, as it's likely to get the best signal and less "home noise". Keeping your indoor antenna connected adds some noise and leaks some of the signal.
That said, when you are at a spot with good signal, a random piece of wire will work nicely as an antenna, things become more critical if you want to receive far away or weak stations. I'ld go for the "recommended configuration" with only the external antenna and try to find the limitations of the radio. Then you can try different antenna combinations; some people even have a hobby in building antennas.

Offline Nathan Milarta

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:44:12 AM »
Hello Mathfox,

Thank you for your reply.  How will I know if my antenna is working properly? 

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »
remove the indoor antenna   as suggested , noise from Computers . DSL routers , dvd players and Satellite receivers was a big factor for me

Steve

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 11:01:06 PM »
As others have pointed out, mount the antenna outside (preferred) or in an attic (less good).  Every house and neighborhood is different...but if you have a computer anywhere near the scanner antenna, forget it.  Any kind of antenna mounted outside will beat an indoor antenna, nearly all the time.

Dave