Author Topic: UK ATC  (Read 19381 times)

Offline j1mster

UK ATC
« on: March 11, 2005, 07:22:16 PM »
Newbie requires any info on UK live ATC feeds - Manchester, Birmingham, Heathrow etc.....

Where can they be found? Can they be found??

Cheers :?

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
UK ATC
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 07:47:24 PM »
Illegal in the UK, unfortunately.

Offline j1mster

UK ATC
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 07:55:30 PM »
OK, thanks. Have been listening to JFK and watching on:

http://www4.passur.com/jfk.html    airport monitoring,

great site this, found it by accident but will be back regularly!

Offline dmaharajh

UK ATC
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:30:02 PM »
Just wondering - if it's illegal how come on www.dxtuners.com there are many receivers that can be tuned in to UK ATC - LHR, MAN, LGW etc ????

Could it be that they are hosted in Sweden unlike here ?

Offline Polehill

UK ATC
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 07:56:45 AM »
Here is the response I recieved from the UK regulatory authority, and posted previously under the thread "British ATC"
I think it makes it clear, and is the official response.

Dear Mr D

As I said in my previous email, although we take a relaxed attitude to the use of scanners by aviation enthusiasts it is, nevertheless, still an offence under Wireless Telegraphy legislation to receive aeronautical messages unless authorised to do so.

Making such messages widely available by broadcasting them over the internet, which I assume is the intention, is going considerably further than an individual simply listening to messages on a scanner. There is also a separate offence under the WT Act for disclosing information that has not been received under authority, which we regard as a more serious matter. These are not matters which we could condone and anyone in the UK passing on aeronautical messages over the internet would be liable to have enforcement action taken against them.

Other countries may have different legislation in this respect but it is a matter of primary legislation in the UK which we presently have no intention of changing since it protects the privacy of many businesses and safety of life services' communications.

I hope this clarifies the position

Offline united777lover

UK ATC
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 07:07:16 PM »
that's kind of rediculous. I see their views and respect it. But when I lived in Brussels for six years, where scanners are illegal too, when I would at EBBR plane spotting every saturday morning. Even cops would stop and listen to the scanner that myself and fellow spotters/ citizens would have out.

Anyhow, how do you get that DXtuner thing to work??

Offline Polehill

UK ATC
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 04:16:20 AM »
I agree its ridiculous. They admit as much themselves by saying thay take a relaxed attitude to individuals using scanners. Ii have had police here too listen to my scanner, and be fascinated by all that goes on. But the authorities have decided to take a hard line towards the redistribution of messages via the internet.
I would have offered to host a stream here, but I wont break the law, no matter how ridiculous it seems.
Plus I dont think I would like prison food!!
Regards
Steve