Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 4057 times)

Offline andymma

Newbie help
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
Hi guys So many questions hope you can help me I live in UK so no airband radio over the Web,and I live near no local airports,
Plane finder or flight radar24? What say you?
Does anybody know of a small simple airfield that I can listen too with moderate traffic so I can get used to listening? I want to use plane finder or radar24 to track and see the planes
Fly inns that be good to listen to any idears
Thanks for the time guys I appreciate any reply

Offline AeroBill

Re: Newbie help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
Welcome to LiveATC.
Plane Finder or Flight24? - I would suggest you start with Plane Finder. It is easy to use and will provide you the basic information you want.
Flight24 is, in my opinion, a better flight following site, but unless you subscribe, (last I looked was around $36.00 US, per year) they have
a 30 minute view time and then you have to reload the page. No big deal, just an inconvenience. You do get more information with the year
subscription and you may want the extra features. They do offer a 7-day free trial, if you are interested, before subscribing.
For an airport, I would suggest you go to EINN (Shannon, Ireland), and monitor it. I really don't have much info on other European airports,
but that is a place you can start at.
Enjoy LiveATC

Offline andymma

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
Thanks areo bill I was looking at Shannon but just bit to busy or maybe I hit peak time lol

Offline andymma

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »
Been listening to lakeland atc nice and steady traffic just wish there were planes I could look at on plane finder certainly going to be listening on the airshow day 👍👍

Offline andymma

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
Hey guys do they use aircraft reg number or flight number how does it work ?

Offline AeroBill

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
I assume you mean how does Plane Finder ID the planes.
For privately own planes usually they use the plane's identification number such as 1N272A; for commercial flights you
will see the flight Call Sign such as AA221 (American Airlines Flight 221). You will also come across some "Dotcom" call
sign flights. These are usually privately owned planes that the owner does not wish to have tracked as to departure or
arrival airports, etc.
For information on flights arriving or departing from Lakeland airport I would go to the FlightAware site and type in
Lakeland and it will bring up all the flights arriving/departing or scheduled to arrive and depart to that airport. You can
then search for that flight, if arriving. Or watch as it pops up on Plane Finder after it takes off from Lakeland.
Just note that I believe Lakeland does not handle the commercial jets, just private aircraft.
Try KBGR (Bangor, Maine) airport for the commercial jets. It is not that busy I would think.

Bill

Offline andymma

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »
I assume you mean how does Plane Finder ID the planes.
For privately own planes usually they use the plane's identification number such as 1N272A; for commercial flights you
will see the flight Call Sign such as AA221 (American Airlines Flight 221). You will also come across some "Dotcom" call
sign flights. These are usually privately owned planes that the owner does not wish to have tracked as to departure or
arrival airports, etc.
For information on flights arriving or departing from Lakeland airport I would go to the FlightAware site and type in
Lakeland and it will bring up all the flights arriving/departing or scheduled to arrive and depart to that airport. You can
then search for that flight, if arriving. Or watch as it pops up on Plane Finder after it takes off from Lakeland.
Just note that I believe Lakeland does not handle the commercial jets, just private aircraft.
Try KBGR (Bangor, Maine) airport for the commercial jets. It is not that busy I would think.

Bill
Bill thanks for the reply sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you but work and home life lol I have just started listening to Bangor airport it's sounds steady I have just had a trail of flight radar and it seems a tad better than plane finder however my free subscription has just expired and not able to see any planes around Bangor airport not sure why but will try another free subscription see what happens thanks anyhow 👍I appreciate your help 👍