Author Topic: UAL 232  (Read 11583 times)

Offline air727

UAL 232
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
Does anybody have the Pilot/Controller transmissions for UAL232 (sioux city Iowa crash)?

If you could let me know that would be great.

a

Offline aevins

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Re: UAL 232
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »
Ask and you shall receive.  My favorite is the controller's clearance of "you're cleared to land on any runway" and Al Haynes replies "Haha, you want to be particular and make it a runway, huh?"

It is just incredible, knowing that you WILL crash this airplane, and people WILL die, and he can still joke on the radio just minutes before impact.

This crash is studied in just about every CRM class in the aviation industry as an example of all the right things to do.

Offline Glass-Cockpit.org

• Our G1000 Interface project for MS Flight Simulator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »

It is just incredible, knowing that you WILL crash this airplane, and people WILL die, and he can still joke on the radio just minutes before impact.

As a police officer, I can kinda appreciate this 'gallows humor'. Yeah, the flight crew knew they were going to be the first ones at the scene of the accident, but they kept it together. These were brave, well trained, and disciplined men. Period.

Offline aevins

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 03:50:06 PM »
He is a really inspirational guy because he's retained that attitude despite everything he's been through. He has suffered through some terrible hardships and tragedies since the accident, and is now a motivational speaker.

Offline air727

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »
don't mean to be picky, but were the audio files ever released?

Thanks for the transcript.

Offline PHXCONXrunner

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »

This crash is studied in just about every CRM class in the aviation industry as an example of all the right things to do.

I hope they study it in ATC classes, because that controller understood right away the severity of the problem, and did a damn fine job of calling out landing strips, distances, headings, etc.

Excellent teamwork by all.