airtraffic

Author Topic: TSA Scanner Security Question.....  (Read 12887 times)

Offline JALTO

TSA Scanner Security Question.....
« on: December 27, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »
The wife was sneaky this year and jumped onto the LIVE ATC chat boards to research hand held scanners to gift to me this year....needless to say I've been pluged in ever since!

Now for the questions....Since I'm frequently on the road at different airports will TSA give me a hard time if lets say I'm waiting at my gate and I'm listening to ATC on the scanner with my head phones?    

Thanks
-J

Happy New Year

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »
Shouldn't matter unless you catch someone on a bad day.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »
Quote from: AmericaWestCMH

And even then, they can't do anything about it.

BL.

Offline PIT

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 01:28:52 PM »
does anyone have any freqs for the TSA?!?!

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »
Honestly? Everything above is true. But I wouldnt do it. Its bound to attract the wrong kind of attention.

Offline PIT

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 02:14:45 PM »
i do it all the time. infact i met a "air marshall" he was very interested in planes and things of that sort. came over asking what i was doing. i told him and he wanted to listen in too. before we boarded the flight he gave me a lil air marshall pin :D. that was it. my aunt works for the TSA to, and their not as bad as they seem but, thats just my opion. She does get pissed when she tells me to meet her somewhere in the airport and, im like where??? lol, but i blame that on her job, lol

Offline tyketto

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »
Quote from: Neil
Honestly? Everything above is true. But I wouldnt do it. Its bound to attract the wrong kind of attention.

why?

I do it all the time, and every time I travel by air. No-one even gives me a second glance, and if they do (passengers), it's their fear and paranoia that is doing that. If they don't know the reasons or motives behind you bringing your scanner, they can't judge or accuse you of doing something illegal. At the absolute worst, all they can do is ask you what the scanner is for. Give them an answer, and that is that. There is no rule stating that it can't be brought onto a plane. there is no rule stating that it can not be used in the airport. the only rule is that it isn't on the list of electronic devices that can be used while the plane is in midair. Other than that, they can not do a single thing to you for having the scanner with you.

So, which is more important: your right to use a device in which you would be in the right to use in the appropriate places, or cowering under someone else's FUD?

BL.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 02:33:06 PM »
Quote from: tyketto
Quote from: Neil

why?

I do it all the time, and every time I travel by air. No-one even gives me a second glance, and if they do (passengers), it's their fear and paranoia that is doing that. If they don't know the reasons or motives behind you bringing your scanner, they can't judge or accuse you of doing something illegal. At the absolute worst, all they can do is ask you what the scanner is for. Give them an answer, and that is that. There is no rule stating that it can't be brought onto a plane. there is no rule stating that it can not be used in the airport. the only rule is that it isn't on the list of electronic devices that can be used while the plane is in midair. Other than that, they can not do a single thing to you for having the scanner with you.

So, which is more important: your right to use a device in which you would be in the right to use in the appropriate places, or cowering under someone else's FUD?

BL.

All true, but the flight attendant *can* tell you to shut it off, mostly due to FUD surrounding possible interference to navigation equipment and/or airline radio equipment.  If you know anything about radio receiver design, the FUD stems from possible local oscillator (LO) leakage from the scanner.  Ultimately, the captain of the flight has the final say in matters like this.

Dave

Offline PIT

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »
on the southwest emergency and things not to do card, its says do not use a scanner.

Offline JALTO

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 02:51:47 PM »
I generally use the the ever poplular Apple device once inside the plane or UA Channel 9 as I know that is safe to use.  I was more concerned about in the actual airport itself.  Thanks for all the replies!

-J

Offline Jolly009

• http://firehouse.com
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 04:35:30 PM »
I do it all the time, before Sept 11th, and after.  The same proceedures are in affect, at the Metal Detctor put it on the belt, they see it, take off the antenae look at it, and turn it on to make sure it functions properly.  only 3 out of 50 times they asked me to take out the batteries and had a look at that.  I always use head sets when inside the airplane or the terminal as to piss off people around me.  THe fun thing is when the Capt or First Officer is leaving and you say, Nice approach, especially behind United 1450 HEAVY.  And then he starts freaken out.  :-)  Only did that twice....

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 05:42:58 PM »
Quote from: tyketto
Quote from: AmericaWestCMH

And even then, they can't do anything about it.

BL.

Exactly.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »
Dave, PIT,

True. But I didn't mention that I use it on the plane. :)
Everywhere else, I do, and if I use it on the plane, it is prior to them shutting/securing the doors. From then on, it's off. After that, Ch. 9 all the way! :D

BL.

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 06:33:39 PM »
Heh... I just posted this in a.net in the Tech Ops Forum the other day. Someone asked the same question... So I'll just cut and paste my reply

Whenever I've bring my handheld scanner, I just take the batteries out going through the security checkpoints. Never ever have they once asked to search my bag or had the batteries confiscated. After I pass through security I just put the batteries in. I've hung out at LAX multiple times for several hours in the long upper windowed hall that links terminal 6 and 7 with my scanner out watching aircraft with headphones on and not once been questioned by security or anyone passing by. Using it while onboard an aircraft and you're asking for trouble.

Offline Neil

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 04:23:54 PM »
i do it all the time. infact i met a "air marshall" he was very interested in planes and things of that sort. came over asking what i was doing. i told him and he wanted to listen in too. before we boarded the flight he gave me a lil air marshall pin

Think about that a litte, and then think of why things happened in the sequence they did.

Its not cowering to someone elses rules, etc etc...im simply saying if you really want to, go ahead. i wouldnt. If the reasons arent obvious, I odnt know what to tell you.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 04:53:56 PM »
Reading this post answers my question.  Should I bring my scanner with me next time I board an aircraft?  LIke someone previous stated, if you're doing something illegal, then it's nasty.

I once brought my portable scanner through the security gates at the Ottawa Ontario Parliament Hill for Canada Day fireworks and nobody said anything.  In fact, it wasn't worth it, because I got too many cellular phone freq's skipping through the aircraft freq's.
 :roll:

Offline JALTO

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 05:09:35 PM »
Quote from: Jonathan_tcu
Reading this post answers my question.  Should I bring my scanner with me next time I board an aircraft?  LIke someone previous stated, if you're doing something illegal, then it's nasty.

I once brought my portable scanner through the security gates at the Ottawa Ontario Parliament Hill for Canada Day fireworks and nobody said anything.  In fact, it wasn't worth it, because I got too many cellular phone freq's skipping through the aircraft freq's.

Its not against the law in the US to bring a scanner along with you so it would not be "nasty".

-J

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 05:51:26 PM »
Quote from: JALTO
I generally use the the ever poplular Apple device once inside the plane or UA Channel 9 as I know that is safe to use.  I was more concerned about in the actual airport itself.  Thanks for all the replies!

-J

what is chchannel 9 or the apple device you were etalking about

Offline tyketto

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 06:26:07 PM »
Quote from: jamall02864
Quote from: JALTO

-J

what is chchannel 9 or the apple device you were etalking about

on any United Airlines flight, you are given a selection of channels for music and/or movies. One channel in particular, Channel 9, is available to listen to all communications from the cockpit to ATC.

BL.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 06:28:11 PM »
Quote from: Jonathan_tcu

I agree. bringing a scanner to an airport or even onboard an aircraft is NOT illegal. the only thing illegal about it is operating it when the plane is in motion. Once the doors are closed on the aircraft, you may not use it. It is on the list of electronic devices to not be used on the plane while it is in motion. If at the gate and the doors are open, just like your cell phone, you may use it.

BL.