airtraffic

Author Topic: TSA Making scissors back onboard??!  (Read 14582 times)

flyMKEmilwaukee414

TSA Making scissors back onboard??!
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
Hi everyone should the TSA have Scissors on board airplanes? What do you think? I think they should'nt becasue we dont want some freaked out passenger hurt someone with Scissors. Well thats what i think.

What do you think?????

Scissors or no scissors?

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »
It only applies to scissors 4 inches or less.

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 08:22:27 PM »
never know throw           .....no one does  :?:  :?: its something we will see in the future

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »
I saw an interview with someone from the flight attendants' union who asserted that the blades could easily be shaprened and the scissors broken apart to create two knives.  The 911 hijackers used boxcutters.....a seemingly more benign item than scissors.  TSA justified the decision with armed air marshalls and bulletproof cockpit doors.  I think it's a bad idea.

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:29:17 PM »
i think so too. they maybe can hide it in a pocket or something and kill someone. Please keep voting. we will see what people say ather 40 days when this poll is done.. :idea:  :?:

Thanks

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 08:47:26 PM »
While it is okay to be paranoid at some times, there are times in which people are TOO paranoid. This is one of them. One really can't assume that if they are bringing scissors onboard that they are going to do some sort of malice towards others or the plane. I'm not saying not to be vigilant, but prior to 9/11/01, there were distinct lines between fear, paranoia, and vigilance. Nowadays, it's too grey, and people have lost the reasoning to figure out which is which.

BL.

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:50:39 PM »
ok thats fine............

KEEP VOTING

Offline Neil

wel...
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
I think pre 9/11 the protocal as a passenger on an airline in a hijacking situation was that if you stayed calm and seated, you could wait it out and eventually you would get out of there ok. thats what happpened on the vast majority of hijackings in the past..
9/11 changed that, and I just dont thing a box cutter is going to deter a plane full of passengers from reacting. The attempted shoe bomber guy (richard reid if i recall correctly)  learned that one the hard way.

Offline PIT

GOOD/BAD
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 09:41:14 PM »
I think it a good idea and a bad idea. First of all what would you need scisors on a airplane for anyways? Second of all they could use anything that is allready on the plane. The hijackers of UA flt 93 took the axe from the cockpit. and also you can never make the world perfect. You will always be able to hijack a plain with or without scisors. :cry:

Offline Neil

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 09:48:36 PM »
Thats a valid point to, PIT. Its nothing that you cant pack away to go in the cargo hold...but alot of regular passengers who fly alot take carry on only. Most keep them along with perhaps a nail file, which is also illegal, in a travel hygeine kit or whatever you like to call it, with your tooth brush, etc...

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 10:18:15 PM »
Yet again the TSA is letting their guard down and getting comfortable and another 9/11 will be just over the horizon.

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 10:18:27 PM »
well im not a big fan of the ideal. why should we let them do the same thing they did before. and i love how a bullit proof doors give a reason to bring knves and sizzers on lol  going to shoot the door with a knife  good luck with that :wink:   i think i might bring them on to protect my self  but i think the TSA/FAA dosent want to collect and store them any more i thnk they dount wana speend the money on confascated itams (ya that speeld bad :D )  o well it aint going to stop me from flying  :D

Offline sean

Scissors aren't the problem....
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 10:01:52 AM »
A 4" pair of scissors is not the most pressing issue to aircraft security.  In light of what has happened, who here can honestly say that a plane full of passengers is going to let anything less than a full battalion of terrorists take it over?  People are pouncing on other passengers that just ACT strange these days.  I saw an article recently where a passenger with mental issues took his pants off during the flight and a group of other passengers attacked him and ended up handcuffing him to his seat.

Every flight isn't packed with heros, but given what people know now, think how they would react if 5 guys with 4" scissors got up and said they were taking control of the plane.  I submit that it wouldn't last very long for those guys.  

It is far more likely that explosives would come back "in style," either on a passenger or surreptitiously placed on board by a rogue ground crew member.  Or, speaking of which, how about a gun or guns left on board by cleaning crew or other support staff?  In that case no heros are going to re-take the plane.  

I could list the doomsday scenarios for hours, but the point is that terrorists have brains, too.  They're smart enough to know that a 4" pair of scissors or a screwdriver is going to be no match for 10, 50, or 100 angry passengers on a flight.  

Sean

Offline JALTO

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 11:02:51 AM »
The TSA has raised awareness enough for passengers to always be on the lookout from the time we enter the airport property.  I think its time to lift some, not all, of these restrictions we have been living under.  

Someone else brought up a good point that items that are already on board can be used.  Even had hot coffee in your eyes???  I'm not saying Mr. Jihad is going to pick up the tea kettle and start throwing it around but there will always be something they can use in their favor.  

Besides...at larger airports the TSA seems to be very (pardon me if I'm about to piss off any TSA employees reading this) lazy when it comes to checking the bags correctly.  I'm in airports approx. 30 weeks out of the year and carry a tool bag as part of my job.  I always check this bag in but from time to time while I'm onsite i might throw a large screw driver or other sharp metal intrument in my back pack which is then carried on the plane by accident.  This has happened at least 3 times over the past few months and was never found by the TSA at larger airports.  Seems like they only care if you take your laptop out of your bag!  

I think until the feds get vigilant about other things... like scanning cargo there are and still will be major loopholes in our security process.

-J

Offline Tomato

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:50:12 AM »
If you start banning too many things, you'll end up with rebels that will go to the extremes and end up with a problem.  I'm glad there's more security on the plane, but I wish there didn't have to be.  :(

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 12:53:52 PM »
I say that when they have those things more and more peple are at risk. we want to be safe as we can. We dont want a other 9/11 happening. i read about how flight attendants  feel about this and they really think it should be on the list of banned items.

KEEP VOTING!

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »
i think that somethings like nail clippers and files and nitting neddles are fine but i think that sizzers is a bad ideal.

hers a idea :)  lets put tear gass  on planes that the flightattendants can trigger and well give them gasmaks and they can kill them lol :) i love it

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 03:34:56 PM »
we would like this post to be "PG"  please. Thanks.
(sorry dont want this to be locked again)

KEEP POSTING AND VOTING

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 08:39:11 PM »
sory my bad :oops:

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2005, 01:12:55 PM »
Its ok.  8)   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D