airtraffic

Author Topic: Trying to find a scanner..  (Read 21097 times)

Offline Michael.C

Trying to find a scanner..
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:56:41 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestion, or maybe one they're selling? Right now I'm trying to find one for recreation use (I'm a student pilot and would like to listen into the airfield I fly out in and out of), but may expand to broadcasting online.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:03:33 PM »
I don't know if you're looking for a base station, handheld, or mobile.  Personally my next purchase will be the Sporty's AirScan V.  I like the AM/FM capability and the price is reasonable at $99.95...perfect for the recreational user.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=6679&DID=19

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 05:41:06 PM »
I've never purchased the Sporty's AirScan V, but from the pictures I've seen, it appears that the antenna is fixed onto the scanner.  Can anyone report if a different antenna can be installed or is the default one "on there for good"

Jason  8)

Offline stealth71

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 05:58:02 PM »
Hey Michael. I have no experience with the Sporty's radios. I use a Radio Shack Pro-2041 to broadcast Missoula. I've had it for about 5 years and it's a great radio. I've never heard anything bad about the Pro series and they can be found on Ebay all the time for very reasonable prices. Other than that, I've heard good comments about the Bearcat 350A or 350C. In the end, most scanners are very similar with respect to features and abilities. What makes the biggest difference is whether the radio is connected to a good outdoor antenna or not.

Chris

Offline Michael.C

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 05:59:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Since my budget is very small right now since I'm spending so much on school and lessons, I bidded on this..

EDIT:
Quote from: stealth71
Hey Michael. I have no experience with the Sporty's radios. I use a Radio Shack Pro-2041 to broadcast Missoula. I've had it for about 5 years and it's a great radio. I've never heard anything bad about the Pro series and they can be found on Ebay all the time for very reasonable prices. Other than that, I've heard good comments about the Bearcat 350A or 350C. In the end, most scanners are very similar with respect to features and abilities. What makes the biggest difference is whether the radio is connected to a good outdoor antenna or not.

Chris
That was good timing. :) Thanks, stealth.

Offline stealth71

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 06:01:27 PM »
Yeah, that looks like a great deal, hope you win it.

Offline Michael.C

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 06:08:18 PM »
Quote from: stealth71
Yeah, that looks like a great deal, hope you win it.
Thanks very much!

Offline Jonathan_tcu

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 08:42:37 PM »
That's a pretty good looking scanner!  I suppose that's not taken on the road all too often? lol

Offline Michael.C

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 10:04:30 PM »
Well, I ended up winning this sucker. Hopefully it's not a peace of junk. I'm glad I ended up winning a handheld so I can go out to the field and listen in while watching the traffic.

Offline stealth71

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 07:14:33 PM »
I can't be sure, but I think I had that radio once. I just remember the radio being all silver. That looks a lot like a Pro-34, which is a really good radio. I think at times my Pro-34 has better reception than my base radio. Should work well.

Offline mdl21483

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 10:51:06 PM »
AirScan can be pretty decent, although it does require a large mast for anything worth conducting true capibility. its primarily made for on-field use or near fields within 5 miles of your location. anything outside of that gets incrementally less in reception. afterall they do advertise it as great for in the hangar or the office (on-site) the default antenna is indeed detachible using a standard BNC connection, however ive found through continued useage, that the overall design is not only a space taker but also can become faulty, unlike the duribility of other scanners. only a third of its housing is actually needed for the electronic components, the rest being the oversized mono-speaker (need to use headphone jack for stereo) asthetics, and the standard radio.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »
I would like to start of a feed, if I could get a scanner and have enough time to set it up. I am a new to scanners and have seen the Sporty's AirScan V in there catalogs and it looks decent, or like said I might pick one up off ebay. If I were to start a feed, it would be N57 (New Garden Airport) I have two questions though, can you operate a feed with a handheld and do you need to have all day internet acess? Thanks to anyone who could help me out.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »
Quote from: n57flyguy
If I were to start a feed, it would be N57 (New Garden Airport) I have two questions though, can you operate a feed with a handheld

Yes, you can run a feed with a handheld scanner, infact many LiveATC.net feeds use handhelds.

N57 doesn't have a control tower, and just has a CTAF, so I wouln't see the full point of just feeding a CTAF frequency.  You can try Wilmington (KILG) and see if you can recieve TWR and GND there.

Quote from: n57flyguy
and do you need to have all day internet acess? Thanks to anyone who could help me out.

Let me put it this way...to stream your feed (keep it up) your internet must be connected/running and the software provided must also be running.  Whenever one of the two is not running, the stream will be "down."  So, if you desire to keep the feed up 24/7 (give or take for all sorts of reasons not worth discussing) like the majority (don't quote me on that) of the feeds are, you would need a constantly connected internet connection.

Jason

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 04:02:11 PM »
I have considered ILG, its a very interesting coporate airport with alot of nice operations going on there so it would be a good feed but, I think it would be just out of range. I know N57 is nontowered and only has the CTAF but its five minutes from me so it seems reasonble, but then it would be kind a boring. I'll loook into it though and see if I could even set it up, its just time and money, my friend, time and money. Thanks for that information though, I want to set one up i just don't know if I'll be able to.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »
Oh yeah, I would like to order a handheld scanner recommendation between the price of $100-200. Thanks again.

Offline Neil

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 04:38:37 PM »
I, for one, would love an N57 feed. sure, veeeery few night ops, and just the usual unicom traffic in the day time, but if you heard some of the things ive heard on that freq..... :lol:

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 05:54:17 PM »
At least one reason for a N57 feed!!! I know you fly out of there Neil, but I am not making any promises to a feed, I think I would just be the guy to do it. If I can I will, I dont know if I can operate two feeds with one scanner but Im still looking into it. stealth71, Ive looked into the bearcats and they look pretty good, and good on my wallet also so thanks for that also. Any more help will be Greatly appreciated! Thanks!

And neil, WOW that blogspot looks awsome, good to see that shot of N57 there! is that a virtual coporate jet service?