Author Topic: Tracking my FedEx package to the max  (Read 6362 times)

Offline gmwnet

• My Blog
Tracking my FedEx package to the max
« on: November 17, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »
I ordered a package from Apple.com yesterday for a cable to connect my iMac to a second monitor.  Anyways, so I have some major insomnia tonight -- I get up at 3:30, check my email and see the invoice for my order with a tracking link.  So I click on it and see that the package left Oakland for the trip up to Seattle already.  So feeling a little plucky I go to flightaware.com and see if I can see any FedEx planes around.  Sure enough, FDX85 is just decending into Seattle.  So I rush to the liveatc feed and as soon as I tune-in to SEA Approach I hear "Fedex 85 heavy decend to maintain 3000 turn right heading 070"   Cool! 

I live downtown, so about the time I geek-out and think this was pretty neat to have tracked it this far, I hear the low whistle-whine of big turbofans at idle passing by.  I rush to the window and -- check this out -- there is my FedEx DC10, with my package, gently turning over the bay as approach says "Fedex 85 heavy cleared Bay visual approach runway 16C"

Anyways, forgive me but I thought I'd post this as you guys are probably the only ones that would appreciate it...I thought this was pretty fun.  Timing is everything I guess! :)

(Now, let's see if they actually deliver it today, or throw it in a bin somewhere and I have to wait until Monday!)

-Garrett

Offline canuck101

Re: Tracking my FedEx package to the max
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »
I rush to the window and -- check this out -- there is my FedEx DC10, with my package, gently turning over the bay as approach says "Fedex 85 heavy cleared Bay visual approach runway 16C"

One situation where you don't want anything bad to happen to the aircraft :-D

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:44:23 AM »
So feeling a little plucky I go to flightaware.com and see if I can see any FedEx planes around.  Sure enough, FDX85 is just decending into Seattle.  So I rush to the liveatc feed and as soon as I tune-in to SEA Approach I hear "Fedex 85 heavy decend to maintain 3000 turn right heading 070"   Cool!

Pretty incredible the information we all have at our fingertips these days.  Imagine being told ten years ago that not only would you be able to see updated package tracking information, you would also be able to see near realtime IFR flight progress AND listen to realtime ATC over the web.  We would have all laughed at that fantasy.

Interesting you mention Fed-Ex.  I am awaiting the delivery of a new laptop that I had to order to replace my three year old Dell that suffered a mo-bo failure.  The laptop is being shipped FedEx ground from California to NY.  However, the FedEx tracking page does not show an entry since early morning yesterday, which is its 7:30am arrival into the FedEx hub in California. 

Either the package was mis-sorted or destroyed there, or FedEx is having an issue updating its tracking system.   :(

Offline Tomato

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »
That's awesome!  I've never done it with a package but I've listened in for friends/family arriving.  That way I don't have to worry about going to the airport too early.  Glad your package arrived safely!  :)