Author Topic: THIS IS SCARY  (Read 6021 times)

Offline Seaduck123

THIS IS SCARY
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »
this is a WaPo article about the TRACON in the DC area.  Read it and be afraid, be very afraid!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/30/AR2010083002286.html

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Re: THIS IS SCARY
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily say that it is "scary."  It is just something to think about.

The article is a bit misleading, until the end.  There are 2 points to keep in mind:

The new self-reporting error system will certainly create the illusion of more mistakes made.  I'm not sure if ATC uses the NASA program or an ASAP program, but either way, when you have the chance to report a mistake and learn about it, and not get punished, you have an impetus to report it.  So yes, the incidents may not have increased by 100%, the reporting of such incidents has.

Secondly, this is not just an issue at PCT.  The average controller experience level has decreased dramatically in recent years, as the PATCO replacements are all now retiring.  I hear training at airports and centers all the time.  As a regional jet pilot, it doesn't scare me at all.  I was once new.  We can't expect everyone to be perfect, we can only try to be.

Offline ogogog

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »
big deal, you folks should have been around ZAU in that mid to late 80s,iam still suprised no one got killed.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:12:22 AM »
The new self-reporting error system will certainly create the illusion of more mistakes made.  I'm not sure if ATC uses the NASA program or an ASAP program, but either way, when you have the chance to report a mistake and learn about it, and not get punished, you have an impetus to report it.  So yes, the incidents may not have increased by 100%, the reporting of such incidents has.

Controllers do have a reporting system for reporting errors, deviations or anything that they deem may be "unsafe."  It's called ATSAP and is a relatively new program.  The benefit of the program is that more mistakes will be reported without fear of the controller being reprimanded if reported in a timely manner (24 hours after the controller became aware of the situation).  It also promotes safety as we can learn how and why the mistake happened and see if procedural changes are necessary to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Controllers have the option of submitting the report to the NASA ASRS as well.