Author Topic: The ATC world is changing for ever and I am not happy about it.  (Read 14534 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

hello everyone. So, I was in contact on twitter with United and JetBlue and I received the following information. United is getting rid of all their old entertainment systems which allowed us to listen to air traffic control on our flights. the new systems do not support this and will not. JetBlue, on their entertainment systems says that there is a tab that says ATC but they have no plans of offering it either now or in the future. Those are the only two airlines that I know of that offer this perk. If I am wrong please inform me but I feel like it is time that we start some sort of petition to either try to convince united to stop this change or try to tell another airline that this perk should be instituted in their system. Who would like to help me with this project? Do you think this idea has any chance of becoming a reality? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Offline Gulfstream1

The ATC world is changing for ever and I am not happy about it.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »
Do what the rest of us do..

1. actually watch the safety video while you're in your seat, safely secured with your lap belt on.

2. pull out that electronic device that the FA told you to put away  5 minutes earlier when you were supposed to pay attention to the safety video.

3. open up your Android or iPhone LiveATC app and tune into ground/local control.

4. i do have disappointing news..at about 500 feet after departure roll, you're going to lose that signal.

5. when you get on final approach near your destination, do everything i said in the opposite order and you should hear "welcome to XXX, contact ground.

6. this is all in good fun, I'm a controller and yes, it is disappointing but I wouldn't go as far as a petition.

ATCS

Re: The ATC world is changing for ever and I am not happy about it.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
don't they tell you not to use devices on take off or landing? :mrgreen:

Offline Gulfstream1

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
don't they tell you not to use devices on take off or landing? :mrgreen:

haha. guess I didn't pay attention to the safety video lol

ATCS

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 01:36:50 PM »
so a petition won't work?

Offline Gulfstream1

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
so a petition won't work?

not saying it won't work but what are your exact reasons for the petition. I'm sure "enjoyment"' won't do much for people to look at which is unfortunate in the world we live in.

ATCS

Offline phumnicky

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Step 4.5 Purchase inflight WiFi and keep listening.  :wink:

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Step 4.5 Purchase inflight WiFi and keep listening.

A few* more dedicated enroute Center feeds and LiveATC will soon have the whole planet covered. Keep them coming !

(* few hundred)

Offline mtpiper

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
My brother flies United a lot, and said that for a couple years now, every time he checks Ch 9, it's just dead air. He assumed that most of the flight crews were electing to not feed the audio on their flights.

Offline NEaviator

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 11:40:38 PM »
I've had good results with asking the crew to switch on channel 9.  It's not a checklist item for them, so many crews won't think of turning it on without a little nudge.  But they are happy to do so.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »
when did you fly them last?

Offline nycrich

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:30:13 AM »
After working maintenance for the airlines these freqs will not be coming back. On several occasions while the aircraft was at the gate/taxiing comms heard by passengers created controversies about aircraft operations that created controversies hence there will be no more onboard comms. Also it became a security issue hearing comms from the cockpit in relation to aircraft movement.