Author Topic: Thanks for EWR  (Read 29102 times)

Offline taf158

Thanks for EWR
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:08:43 PM »
Thanks to whoever setup EWR. I have been waiting for this feed for quite some time.

Offline KMSY

Re: Thanks for EWR
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 01:07:44 PM »
I agree, great feed.

JFK-LGA-EWR is complete.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:23:45 PM »
JFK-LGA-EWR is complete.

Complete ? Hardly. I envision a New York area super feed, that like the JFK setup has ALL the New York area Tower/Approach/Departure/adjacent center frequencies split off into separate feeds, only around 20 more radios to go. Willing to donate big bucks for this, I'll start the ball rolling with $500, if someone is willing to set it up. A LiveATC antenna setup on top of the Empire State building would be ideal.

Okay if that doesn't work, how about a radio in the New York area we can tune remotely ? I'd be willing to pay all costs, as long as I have full control, if someone is willing to set it up ? DJ 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:25:18 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline KMSY

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »
I don't see that to be too far out of the realm of possibility at the rate this place is growing.

Offline jkaplan

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:07:12 PM »
You are quite welcome!!   My son and I are having a blast working with the folks at liveatc.net on this feed.

We anticipate boosting the signal and adding frequencies over the next few weeks. 

Stay tuned!!!

:-D

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 11:04:21 AM »
AHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My home airport !!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »
JFK-LGA-EWR is complete.

Complete ? Hardly. I envision a New York area super feed, that like the JFK setup has ALL the New York area Tower/Approach/Departure/adjacent center frequencies split off into separate feeds, only around 20 more radios to go. Willing to donate big bucks for this, I'll start the ball rolling with $500, if someone is willing to set it up. A LiveATC antenna setup on top of the Empire State building would be ideal.

Okay if that doesn't work, how about a radio in the New York area we can tune remotely ? I'd be willing to pay all costs, as long as I have full control, if someone is willing to set it up ? DJ 

What does it require? I would be willing to stream again if it was sponsored, the costs are just killing me

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 12:43:45 PM »
What does it require? I would be willing to stream again if it was sponsored, the costs are just killing me

What I was thinking of was a radio that I could tune remotely via the internet, the same thing as the DX Tuners Radios concept. I'm not sure what's involved in setting it up ? I'd be willing to pay the costs of the radio and a donation to cover the time required for the installation. I'd have complete control of the radio, but could stream it on the LiveATC sight so everyone could listen to it. The intent would be to listen to different sectors from time to time. If anyone is interested or knows anything about setting up such a radio, let me know. DJ

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 12:45:55 PM »

What I was thinking of was a radio that I could tune remotely via the internet, the same thing as the DX Tuners Radios concept. I'm not sure what's involved in setting it up ? I'd be willing to pay the costs of the radio and a donation to cover the time required for the installation. I'd have complete control of the radio, but could stream it on the LiveATC sight so everyone could listen to it. The intent would be to listen to different sectors from time to time. If anyone is interested or knows anything about setting up such a radio, let me know. DJ

DJ, check out some of the "Remote Scanner over IP" products that scannermaster.com sells.  They look pretty good and am interested in how well they work as well as user friendliness.  It looks expensive, but may be worth it; who knows.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 01:22:41 PM »
Thanks for the links, I'll look into it. What I need is someone in the New York area willing to host the radio. Dave, is there any more room at the present JFK site ? Interested ? DJ

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the links, I'll look into it. What I need is someone in the New York area willing to host the radio. Dave, is there any more room at the present JFK site ? Interested ? DJ

If theres no room at that site, let me know Ill take care of it for ya. The current JFK feeder is about 5 blocks away from me, not a big difference...

Also, I think the Miami streamer has a remote controlled scanner...

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,1231.0.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 04:51:06 PM by Lezam »

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 04:59:54 PM »

If theres no room at that site, let me know Ill take care of it for ya. The current JFK feeder is about 5 blocks away from me, not a big difference...

Didn't you say not that long ago, that in order for you to host anything. You want money for the electric bill since that other companies contract would be ending...

Offline jkaplan

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 06:19:27 PM »
JFK-LGA-EWR is complete.

Complete ? Hardly. I envision a New York area super feed, ..............

Jetscan1,

There is another site on the net that currently hosts remote-controlled DX radios...   I think your plans are neat, but not for this site.

-Jonathan   

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »

I thought you were going overseas for a year, Lezam.  So how would you take care of it?  It would be great if you can help DJ out, though.

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »

I've not seen a decent user interface yet that makes this easy.  Probably the easiest thing would be to use a DXTuners-supported radio and run it over there.  I'm not sure if you can do that and get priority access, though.

Either way, I'd certainly be interested in the audio feed, but right now not very interested in providing tech support for such an experiment.  High support cost, low return, IMO.  I am much more motivated in putting more superfeeds out there that run for weeks on end without much intervention.  We may be able to put our next superfeed near EWR since that location seems to be working well. 

For the record, the JFK superfeed is running on a 233 MHz Pentium with 192MB RAM.  It runs CentOS Linux and uses a Delta 1010LT soundcard.  If anyone has any 233-800 MHz PC's lying around, let me know.  They make great feed machines!

-Dave

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 12:02:01 AM »

Didn't you say not that long ago, that in order for you to host anything. You want money for the electric bill since that other companies contract would be ending...

Yup, DJ said he would help out with the costs... if so, its totally possible

Dave, I am going to be away for the year but as I said before, my roommate said he would take care of it with no problem as long as the costs are paid up... And if the tuner is self running, he shouldnt have to do more then keep the electric running :)

DJ, when you get info let me know... I wanna see if we can turn a dream into reality

Offline FlyCMI

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:17:34 AM »
Dave I have a 350 mhz machine laying around with CentOS installed.  How hard is it to set up a feed using that?  Eventually I'll being using it for the Kansas City feed.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 11:54:13 AM »
Dave I have a 350 mhz machine laying around with CentOS installed.  How hard is it to set up a feed using that?  Eventually I'll being using it for the Kansas City feed.

Very easy.  Make sure you have a sound card and the ALSA sound stuff installed.  Then just download and install DarkIce from http://darkice.sourceforge.net .  I send out config files once all that is done. 

Dave

Offline Rixxy

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 04:50:53 PM »
Do any of you guys know where New York ARINC on 129.9 is broadcast from?  Could it be picked up well on your current set-up?  I would love to have a 129.9 stream if it's possible.. ?  Guys?

Rixxy

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 09:58:04 PM »
Do any of you guys know where New York ARINC on 129.9 is broadcast from?  Could it be picked up well on your current set-up?  I would love to have a 129.9 stream if it's possible.. ?  Guys?

Rixxy

Whats ARINC?

Offline Rixxy

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 03:21:08 AM »

Rixxy

Whats ARINC?

ARINC = Aeronautical Radio Inc.

Aircraft call up on it for radio check and selcal check before entering New York OCA to go to San Juan, Bermuda etc.

Rixxy

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 08:46:39 AM »

Aircraft call up on it for radio check and selcal check before entering New York OCA to go to San Juan, Bermuda etc.

Rixxy

ARINC is also the company responsible for OCA communications in some locations of the world.  For example, when you talk to New York OCA, you're really talking to an ARINC operator, not the controller him/herself. 

That's why you'll hear: "FIV505, NY requests..." and it's up to the pilot to accept it and comply or request something else.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:54:40 AM by Jason »

Offline Rixxy

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »

Rixxy

ARINC is also the company responsible for OCA communications in some locations of the world.  For example, when you talk to New York OCA, you're really talking to an ARINC operator, not the controller him/herself. 

That's why you'll hear: "FIV505, NY requests..." and it's up to the pilot to accept it and comply or request something else.

Correct!  And given my love of the Caribbean HF feed (which is NY OCA by ARINC) that's why I'm after the VHF NY ARINC feed on 129.9 !  Anyone?

:cry:

Rixxy

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 02:04:36 PM »

Rixxy

Correct!  And given my love of the Caribbean HF feed (which is NY OCA by ARINC) that's why I'm after the VHF NY ARINC feed on 129.9 !  Anyone?

:cry:

Rixxy

Find out where it is....  :-D :-D

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 03:08:24 PM »
DJ, when you get info let me know... I wanna see if we can turn a dream into reality

Lezam, thanks for the offer, but it sounds like you are leaving your present location soon ? DJ