airtraffic

Author Topic: Emergency landing at KMSY, smoke in cockpit  (Read 6860 times)

Offline K5PAT

Emergency landing at KMSY, smoke in cockpit
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
United flight to SFO had to make an emergency return to KMSY for smoke in cockpit.  Listen in the archives starting at 1200Z today.  Emergency starts around 11:30 minutes into the recording.
  Plane landed and skidded off runway but no one was seriously hurt.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:05:00 AM by K5PAT »

Offline K5PAT

Re: Emergency landing at KMSY, smoke in cockpit
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »
Apparantly MSY could not remove men and equipment fast enough on runway 10 which the aircraft requested so they had to land on 19 which is the shorter runway. Must have looked like a madhouse trying to clear the runway.

Offline ORD Don

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

Fascinating audio of what could have been a MAJOR disaster.  Thanks for posting K5PAT...

For anyone interested, here is a good account of the story with a nod to Live ATC.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-04-06_United497.asp

P.S.  Anyone heard any follow-up on what happened ?

Offline K5PAT

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »

Fascinating audio of what could have been a MAJOR disaster.  Thanks for posting K5PAT...

For anyone interested, here is a good account of the story with a nod to Live ATC.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-04-06_United497.asp

P.S.  Anyone heard any follow-up on what happened ?
I'm having lunch with the Continental/United maintenance supervisor at MSY tomorrow (Friday). I'll see if he has any further information, although the NTSB may have usurped his authority over the incident.
     I'm surprised and disappointed that LiveATC did not receive more credit from the local and national news media.  All of the ATC audio I heard from numerous news sources came from the LiveATC feed , but no credit was given to LiveATC. I guess there's no copywrite rules when it's out on the internet.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!