Author Topic: First Scanner?  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Chael

First Scanner?
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:22:34 PM »
Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this, I am new here  :?

I have been listening to a lot of the feeds for quite a while now and I am interesting in purchasing my own Scanner for home/mobile use. I have looked around and read a lot about different types and makes of scanners and I just wondered if anyone here could recommend one.

I would like to listen primarily on VHF and UHF frequencies and would like if possible to have support for PC connectivity. I live approx. 7 miles from the nearest airport, after that the nearest would be approx 20 miles, then next would be approx 120 miles. The two scanners I have been looking at are the Bearcat UBC 92XLT and the Bearcat USC230E. Which of these would be the better, and what sort of range can I expect to get as standard assuming no obstructions.

I would also like to know if possible what would the possible range be if I purchased an additional antenna, and what sort of price could this be?

Thank you very much in advance,
Chael.

Offline kc135dood

• http://fstankers.freeforums.org/
Re: First Scanner?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:20:10 AM »
I wouldn't suggest the UBC 92XLT because it's limited AirBand Frequency range.  The other, the USC230E looks better in that, but I know over at DTW, there is a frequency of 287.1, so if you can find a scanner that can get like 225-290Mhz would be sweet, I bet.  But then again, look at your airport's frequencies, if it will accept all frequencies, I think you'll be happy with what ever scanner you choose.

Offline Lon

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
I have a Uniden BC72XLT (purchased at Frys) and a VHF Air Blade Indoor Model Antenna purchased online here http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#vhfairblade. The scanner was about $70 or $80 and the antenna was another $70.

The Uniden came with a 'rubber duck' antenna that works perfectly when I'm at the airport within line-of-site of the air traffic control tower. I live two miles north of the Santa Monica airport. With the 'rubber duck' antenna, I can can usually get the airport ATIS channel, but always with a lot of hiss. With the Air Blade Indoor Antenna, I can get the ATIS channel so clearly that I can hear people who were talking in the background when the ATIS recording was made. On the airport's tower frequencies, I can hear pilots still on the ground, as well as the controller in the tower, even though I am not line-of-site to the tower or the runway.

Better still, I live 15 miles north of LAX. With the 'rubber duck', I don't get LAX Ground Control at all. With the Air Blade Indoor, I can get Ground Control and the planes on the ground.

Offline VK2GEL

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:53:31 AM »
UBC 92XLT because it's limited AirBand Frequency range.

Please advise the limitation on air freq range?

Offline Lon

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »
The Uniden scanner has a frequency range 25 MHz to 512 MHz, so it will receive air traffic control transmissions (which are 108 to 137 MHz here in the U.S.), and many many other transmissions as well, ranging from citizens band transmissions at the low end to UHF TV audio at the high end.

With the VHF Air Blade Indoor Model Antenna, I am able to receive air traffic control transmissions from an airport tower that is 15 miles south of my home. The terrain between my home and the airport is almost flat, though I am not in line-of-sight to the tower. There is another airport about 15 miles north of my home, and I cannot receive transmissions from its tower at all, because there is a very high hill between that airport and my home. Air traffic control frequencies do not pass through obstacles like hills or buildings, so the scanner's range -- with almost any antenna -- will depend on how flat the terrain is between the receiver and the tower. Transmissions from airplanes in the sky may be received over great distances, because there may not be any obstacles between the plane and the scanner. Since I can't tell exactly where planes are in the sky when I hear them, I don't know how many miles away they are from me. Also, the exact position of the antenna in my home affects the quality of my reception a great deal, in ways that are difficult to predict or explain. I get better reception when I put the antenna 10 feet inside the windows of my family room than I do when the antenna is next to the windows, and I get better reception still when the antenna is in the middle of my backyard. I understand why the backyard is a better place for the antenna than indoors, but not why 10 feet inside the windows is better than next to the windows.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:59:26 PM by Lon »