airtraffic

Author Topic: New $100 Burger Place at KOXC  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Mrbun

New $100 Burger Place at KOXC
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »
The opening of the on-field restaurant at Waterbury-Oxford (CT) airport (KOXC) has finally happened. http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19154932&BRD=1380&PAG=461&dept_id=157530&rfi=6

A summary in case the link dies: The place is called 121 Restaurant @ OXC and is located on the east side of the field. It was designed so you could sit and watch aircraft arriving and departing while you ate, including from a 30x30' outdoor deck when the WX is nice. For the passengers and the ground dwelling locals such as myself there is also a bar. It is hoped they also pipe in tower and ground audio but that may just be wishful thinking.

To drive there, take the access road (Juliano Drive I believe) at the north end of the airport where Christian Street and Benson Road meet. Follow this along the east side of the runway, around some hangars and other buildings and you will come to it. For the GPS enabled, Google Maps indicates it is at 41 28 42.54N , 73 07 59.63W. It is about mid-field. To fly there, well, you figure it out.

If anyone does plan on flying in some Saturday let me know and I may be able to meet you there. Also, free lunch for Dave, of course.

Mike

(I have no affiliation or financial interest in this place BTW. I also haven't eaten there yet)

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: New $100 Burger Place at KOXC
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:33:23 AM »
Given these days of more airport restaurant closures (Fulton, NY, immediately comes to mind), that's excellent to read.

I have a special place in my heart for Waterbury/Oxford, as that is the airport where I took the first 30 hours of my private pilot lessons back in 1988.  Back then is was an uncontrolled airport with a small restaurant in the main terminal (IIRC) and a short crossing runway great for practicing short field exercises.  We would have to fly down to New Haven, Bridgeport, or Danbury for control tower communications practice.

Happy to read that the airport is thriving.  Mike, if I ever take a lunch trip (I am based out of Central NY these days) I'll PM through this site.  It would be great to chat with other aviation enthusiasts in person over a hot hamburger and a cold soda. 

edit:  Mike, do you know if there is aircraft parking right at the restaurant?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:35:19 AM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »
Mike,

Sweet!  I definitely plan on either flying or driving up (not far for me) there to eat at the new restaurant.  I'll send you a PM when I plan on coming up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:04:09 AM by Jason »

Offline Mrbun

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »
A phone call to them confirmed there is aircraft parking right next to the restaurant. Less than a 100 yard walk I was told.

Definitely PM me here if you're headed up.

Mike