Author Topic: Squawk  (Read 14139 times)

Offline Air Jamaica

• Soreing to new hights
Squawk
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
Hey guys i have sometimes heard ATC tell a pilot that he must squawk "IDENT", what does IDENT mean?.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Squawk
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »
There is a button on the transponder in the aircraft labeled "IDENT" that when pilots depress it, instructs the transponder to continually broadcast its squawk code/pressure altitude for 10 to 30 seconds or so (I am not sure of the exact duration).  This results in the squawk code/altitude that is displayed on the controller's scope to "bloom," or brighten considerable compared to the other aircraft blips, making it easier for the controller to locate the aircraft on the scope.

Typically the controller will request a "squawk ident" when an aircraft has yet to be identified on radar, as in when a VFR pilot requests VFR flight following or when an IFR aircraft enters/re-enters radar coverage.

Offline rpd

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »
It actually displays a flashing "ID" next to the squawk or data block.  At least this is the case with ARTSIIIE.  I am not sure what it does on other systems.

Offline Trevor

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
In Canada the aircraft's RPS (the symbol representing the aircraft's position) blinks on and off for about 30 seconds after squawking ident.