airtraffic

Author Topic: Southwest flight catches on fire in Houston during landing  (Read 10522 times)

Offline kyle172

Offline UAramper

Re: Southwest flight catches on fire in Houston during landing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:28:43 AM »
Any ATC transcripts or recording?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:29:15 AM »
CNN link didn't work for me, but the ABC video did. 

So I'll ask the obvious question here (and no, it's not why did the moronic old man bring his briefcase with him, then stop to pick up his papers at the bottom of the slide):

Why was there a news heli randomly taking video of aircraft landing?  I'd assume, by the response time of CFR, that this was not a planned emergency.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »
Gotta love that guy who threw his luggage down the escape slide ahead of himself.   :roll:

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Yea, at the 3:50 mark! What a TOOL! Then he sits at the end of the slide gathering up his stuff while people are waiting at the top! Then chases that "all important" document all over the runway!  :lol:

Possible this was a brake fire, or a blown tire on touchdown. More likely to be a brake fire...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:25:15 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
I can't do anything about it at the moment, but this was at KHOU, so we do have a feed there, and it was active yesterday. We should have this entire event in the archives. Someone want to have a look?

BL.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »
Looks like a brake failure/fire.  I think the news helicopter happened to be in the area and might have just been randomly filming an aircraft landing for something to do and just happened to actually catch something that was "newsworthy."  Not sure what to say about the person with his briefcase... I guess choose the phrase that you find appropriate.  But a prime example as to why they tell you to leave your carry on ON the plane.  I think the guy should be fined!

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
I concur on the brake fire, and giving that clown a big fat fine! Technically, that's disobeying posted placards (in the safety information card in the seat pocket it states "Leave Carry-on Luggage On The Airplane"...they even say to take off shoes and eye glasses!) and crewmember instructions! What if the fire had been worse? As it was, they didn't use any of the four exits on the right (starboard) side of the airplane!

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
CNN link didn't work for me, but the ABC video did. 

So I'll ask the obvious question here (and no, it's not why did the moronic old man bring his briefcase with him, then stop to pick up his papers at the bottom of the slide):

Why was there a news heli randomly taking video of aircraft landing?  I'd assume, by the response time of CFR, that this was not a planned emergency.

Screw the people afraid for their safety at the top of the stairs. What matters are the papers and briefcase. :roll:

IDK, about the helicopter. But my guess is that it happened to be in the area. Traffic helicopters happen to be around Love Field in the afternoons....

I can't wait to hear more about this one.

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »
Yea, at the 3:50 mark! What a TOOL! Then he sits at the end of the slide gathering up his stuff while people are waiting at the top! Then chases that "all important" document all over the runway!  :lol:

Possible this was a brake fire, or a blown tire on touchdown. More likely to be a brake fire...

I just saw something that said the brakes locked up.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:27:38 AM »
Looks like its SWA519. I havn't had the time to edit the file but its located about 15:40 into the KHOU-May-13-2009-0030Z archive.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/khou/KHOU-May-13-2009-0030Z.mp3

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:29:14 AM by Fryy »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »

I just saw something that said the brakes locked up.

That's what it looked like to me from the video. Brake lock-up causing an overheat situation, igniting a fire.