airtraffic

Author Topic: Sleeping Controlers Question  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

Sleeping Controlers Question
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:19 PM »
Has this type of thing been going on and we never knew about it, or is it a new occurring problem?  If it's new, why do you think it's happening now and not before? ...If it's not new, then why are just hearing about it now? What's going on here? Can anyone shed some light on this picture?  Anyway, let's have a discussion about this.   My opinion is what is this world coming to? strange... :mrgreen:

Offline EdmontonFireRadio

• VE6EFR
    • Edmonton Fire Radio
Re: Sleeping Controlers Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
This is the first I have heard about controllers falling asleep. But in the past I have heard about flight crews falling asleep during long flights and flying past their destination. It's rare, but I sure hope it isn't going to be something we are hearing about on a regular basis.

Offline ICEHOCEY77

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:04:58 AM »
it's only seeing the light of day now. Usually one controller sleeps for a certain length of time, then the other naps while the first guy sleeping takes over. Even at level 12 facilities, you are only looking at maybe 1-2 flights an hour (mainly check airs).

Everyone (including management) knows it goes on....but like anything that gets negative publicity, it's going to catch a ton of attention now. The fault of some of these guys is that they blatantly flaunted that they were sleeping. Major, major bad PR.

Offline NoMad

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »
I don't think anyone is talking about taking turns sleeping where there is more than one controller.  The problem in the news media lately has been a controller working by himself overnight falling asleep.  That essentially leaves the tower completely unmanned.

It probably happens more than has been reported and by coincidence, there is no traffic trying to land or takeoff to notice he/she has dozed off. 

Offline Seaduck123

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
For all the critics who are outraged by the fact that these controllers have fallen asleep, I suggest you try this experiment.  Turn off your computer monitor, and any other devise that would provide any distractions and now sit an stare at the blank monitor for 8 hours starting at midnight.  Did you doze off? Get bored? Fall asleep?  I bet you did.  It is not the fault of the controller so much as the nature of the job.  If there is that little to do at these airports overnight maybe they should be closed and the rare occasion when a flight needs the airport, treat it as an uncontrolled airport.