Author Topic: SFO feed now including Ground?  (Read 16895 times)

Offline tyketto

SFO feed now including Ground?
« on: March 07, 2006, 07:28:30 PM »
I'm listening to the SFO feed at the moment (4:25PST/0025z) and I'm getting both ground and Tower in the same feed. In fact, In my headphones, the right earpiece is playing tower; the left earpiece playing ground. It wasn't this way 2 days ago, when SFO was in east ops.

Fluke or feature?

BL.

Offline Glavata

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »
Noticed the same thing, listening to it atm also.

Offline ernie1

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:50:09 PM »
They must be playing with it.  This afternoon they had the tower and departure mixed together.   Now, a couple of hours later,  the tower is on on the right channel and ground on the left.  Cool.

Beggers can't be choosers but I given a choice I would prefer arrival over ground, but thats just me.

Having KSFO on is good indeed.

Offline sean

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:53:55 PM »
It's undergoing some "live" testing.. there will be changes over the next days/weeks.

Sean

Offline tyketto

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:00:51 PM »
Oh, by all means, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining! I just would like to know what scanner they're using for this, so I can go out and buy it! :D

BL.

Offline ernie1

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:35:57 PM »
Complain?  Heck no I am not going to complain.  I just found this site (for the second time) a few days ago.  The first time I found it I played around for a while and moved on because there was no SFO feed.  

I see the planes on their final aproach to runway 28 from my window here in the hills overlooking Redwood City.

Listening to the tower brings back a lot of memories from the early 80's when I was a special services telephone installer at SFO and spent many, many hours in the old tower installing and repairing equipment at the same time that the controllers were using it and trying to keep out of their way.

Ernie

Offline sean

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:56:03 PM »
I know you guys aren't complaining...  I just wish it was in the Top Ten a bit more!  

The scanners are Uniden BC350's, supplied by LiveATC.  If you're enjoying it, consider donating a few bucks to cover our costs!  :)

Sean

Offline Chaos81

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 10:05:19 PM »
Listening to it now. Scared the crap out of me though. I had my headphones on, and thought the left side wasn't working anymore. Then all of a sudden ground came on at the same time as tower and I thought I was going crazy. :lol:

Thanks for the feed. I like the fact that you can listen to both at the same time. 8)

Offline frantzy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 11:38:54 PM »
Quote from: sean
] If you're enjoying it, consider donating a few bucks to cover our costs!  :)

Done.   Fair value for the hours and hours of listening I've enjoyed.   We all need to be reminded every once in a while

Offline ernie1

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 12:07:52 AM »
Likewise.  Donation on its way.  Keep up the good work.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 02:21:08 AM »
Ernie, why dont you consider putting together a feed for the area, being in the hills i'd think you would pick up alot of activity?

Offline ernie1

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »
There are a lot of hills between me and the airport which block VHF transmissions, but I would think that aproach and departure would be pretty good from here.

I have been thinking of getting a scanner one of these days to see what I can pick up from here.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 01:14:44 PM »
Quote from: ernie1
There are a lot of hills between me and the airport which block VHF transmissions, but I would think that aproach and departure would be pretty good from here.

I have been thinking of getting a scanner one of these days to see what I can pick up from here.

Which leads me to my question for you, Ernie.

Do you know if there are repeaters in the area around there? From my work here in Sacramento, I can look out the window and physically see NCT, yet I couldn't pick up the frequencies used in the SFO area. I can only asume there are repeaters or some sort of RCAG in the area there.  If there are, that would help me wih concentrating on the SMF/SAC/MHR area.

I'm more used to the ATCT setup, where the Tower and TRACON are in the same building, like Vegas.

BL.

Offline ernie1

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 01:35:12 PM »
Quote from: tyketto
Which leads me to my question for you, Ernie.

Do you know if there are repeaters in the area around there?

BL.

I am afraid that is something I wouldn't know.  Like I said I havn't listened in on ATC for many years and I am just started to get intrested again after finding this fine site.

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 04:02:25 PM »
I live in San Francisco, right by Golden Gate park. I have the same problems with the hills blocking me. I pick up the aircraft on the app/dep freqs, but not the atc side of the conversation.

So on the SFO feed, how the heck did you get ground on one speaker and tower on the other? Is there anyway to make it so if one comes on the other doesnt, so that one doesnt cross over the other? Just to clarify im not complaining either, i love this feed!  :D

Offline ernie1

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 08:34:53 PM »
Quote from: Fryy
Is there anyway to make it so if one comes on the other doesnt, so that one doesnt cross over the other? Just to clarify im not complaining either, i love this feed!  :D

I think I can answer that question and I have nothing to do with the site or the feed.

What you are asking would be no different than having a single scanner scanning both the tower and ground to a single channel feed.  You get one or the other but not both.  In the case of SFO, both the tower and ground get so busy that you can go for long periods without a break.  A full time feed for the tower is a must.  If it switched to ground and ground got very busy, it could be a long time before the scanner would have a chance to get back to the tower.

What they are doing with the SFO feed is to have two scanners, one locked on the tower feeding the right channel and a second scanner locked to ground feeding the left channel of a single stereo feed.  The scanners are not scanning at all, but are operating as fixed frequency radios.  In essence you get two full time feeds without having to switch links.  You can listen to one or the other or both simply by selecting the speaker balance on your computer.  

You can easily follow a plane from the gate on the ground freq. and when it is handed off  to the tower, pick it up again simply by switching which speaker you are listening to.

I admit it does get somewhat confusing and hard to listen to when both speakers are going non-stop.

Kinda neat.

Offline ngreed

• Detroit Spotters
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
Great job on the feed, I for one, like the ground and tower on separate channels

:):)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 09:15:13 PM »
Most audio players have a stereo slider to separate the right and left channels.  If you want to listen to one or the other, use the slider.  :-)

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 02:06:30 AM »
So theres no way to get two seperate links here on LiveATC for both SFO_GND and SFO_TWR? For example, JFK_Clr/Gnd and JFK_TWR? That was my basic question.
Again, im not complaining at all I love this feed, actually a program I have for recording music allows me to take the feed from the archive and cut the right or left channel.

Offline sean

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 08:01:40 AM »
There isn't any way to get separate feeds from here.  They are being streamed together, like a stereo music channel.  Glad you're enjoying it.

Sean

Offline ups702

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »
Quote from: Fryy
So theres no way to get two seperate links here on LiveATC for both SFO_GND and SFO_TWR? For example, JFK_Clr/Gnd and JFK_TWR? That was my basic question.
Again, im not complaining at all I love this feed, actually a program I have for recording music allows me to take the feed from the archive and cut the right or left channel.

that or just adjust your balance control in the Windows sound control to one channel or the other. I was listening last night and as much as it's a shame to miss what's going on on the one you drop, each channel was constantly stomping on each other, so it is better listening to pick one and go with that.