Author Topic: Scanning Configuration  (Read 11633 times)

Offline Tomato

Scanning Configuration
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:36:57 AM »
I know many people have scanners and whatnot... two questions on how you setup/configure your scanner.

What (local) feeds do you listen to?  ...in other words, which of the Tower/Approach/Departure/Ground/Clearance frequencies do you scan in on?

Do you use that popular 2 sec DELAY, or find it better not to?

Offline tyketto

Re: Scanning Configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 04:56:50 PM »
Quote from: Tomato
I know many people have scanners and whatnot... two questions on how you setup/configure your scanner.

What (local) feeds do you listen to?  ...in other words, which of the Tower/Approach/Departure/Ground/Clearance frequencies do you scan in on?

Do you use that popular 2 sec DELAY, or find it better not to?

Wow.. big question!

As I split my time between Vegas and Sacramento, and only have one scanner on me, I tend to split my frequencies into trunks based on area.

I have a Radio Shack PRO/76, which goes up to 200 channels across 10 trunks. In trunks 1 and 2, I have set up for Vegas and North Las Vegas, respectively, from ATIS up to Approach and Los Angeles Center. For example, in trunk 1:

132.4   ATIS
118.0   Delivery
121.1   Ground E of runways 1/19
121.9   Ground W of runways 1/19
124.4   Ramp
127.9   Ramp
129.17 Ramp
118.75 Tower (runways 1L/19R - 1R/19L)
119.9   Tower (runways 25L/7R - 25R/7L)
135.0   Final approach (for runways 25L/R, 7L/R, 1L/R)
125.6   Approach W of LAS Interstate 15
125.02 Approach E of Interstate 15
120.45 VFR approach (final for runways 19L/R, KVGT)
119.4  VFR Approach (See 120.45, combined with that freq)
125.9  Departure (runways 19L/R - 25L/R, below 13000MSL)
133.95 Departure (runways 19L/R - 25L/R, 13000 - FL190)
118.4  VFR Departure, Class B service
134.65 Los Angeles Center (Sector 6, Low, south to SoCal)
124.2  Los Angeles Center (Sector 7, Low, East to
124.62 Los Angeles Center (Sector 16, Low/High, to Coaldale, N. Cal/Nev)

Similar is set up for Northtown, in trunk 2. For Sacramento, I'm trying to do the same, but as less frequencies are used (Las Vegas is Class B airspace, Sacramento, Class C), I could add more to the trunks:

126.75  (SMF ATIS)
121.1    (Clearance Delivery)
121.7    (Ground, mostly combined with delivery)
125.7    (Tower)
125.25   (Norcal Approach/Departure, South and southwest)
127.4    (Norcal Approach Departure, East and southeast)
134.8    (Norcal Approach/Departure, West and North)
125.4    (Norcal Approach/Departure Northeast)
119.1    (Norcal Approach/Departure, Low, east)
127.95  (Oakland Center, Sector 40, Low, East to Reno/Lake Tahoe)
126.85  (Oakland Center, Sector 23, Low, SE to Fresno)
132.95  (Oakland Center, Sector 32, High, SE to Coaldale/Tahoe)
132.05  (Oakland Center, Sector 33, High, SE to Beatty/Vegas)

As you can see, I still have 7 spots left in the trunk (trunk holding 20 freqs). With those, and 4 other airports in the area (KMHR, KSAC, KMCC, KAUB), I plug the ATIS, Delivery, Ground, and Tower frequencies in the remaining slots (they would all use the same Departure/Approach freqs, so no need to add those back in).

I also tend to use the primary freq on a given trunk for the ATIS, and lock it out. No need to scan and always pick it up, as it will always be transmitting! Besides, most have phone numbers you can call and hear it on the phone.

But this is what I do, and not use the 2 second delay. You tend to miss a lot in that delay. If I get the bloody antenna in that I need, I'll grab more scanners and get that feed up that I keep promising.

BL.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Scanning Configuration
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
tyketto, have you ever considered setting up a feed for those? I would love to listen to the sacramento area.

Offline tyketto

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »
Quote from: Fryy
tyketto, have you ever considered setting up a feed for those? I would love to listen to the sacramento area.

This is exactly what I'm working on! :)

I'm physically less than 3 miles from the actual NorCal facility, so I'm still deciding on what frequencies to grab. I more than likely could get every single frequency NCT uses, but most would only be the controller side, as I wouldn't have true line of sight with the planes. I'll more than likely just concentrate on the SMf area, and hope I'm in range with the antenna I'm getting to pick up SMF tower. I'm 2nm North of MHR.

BL.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Scanning Configuration
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »
I live in San Francisco, my main problem is that im surrounded by hills! I just purchased a Radio Shack antenna and I get better reception with the planes, but still very little ATC. I wonder if there is a way to combine the feeds so if you get the ATC, I'll get the planes... Hope that makes sence.

Offline tyketto

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 08:28:59 PM »
Hmm.. in my travels to Redwood City (where my company has a data center), I wa sable to get both pilot and ATC from the Bay bridge on the freeway, so that makes me think that there may be a repeater around there. I'll find out where that is for you, and see if I can get its location.

BL.

Offline IndyTower

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 12:46:48 AM »
I'd pay money for SFO. ;)

Offline Tomato

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 09:35:14 AM »
Wow, I did *NOT* expect such an in-depth reply!  That's awesome though... I think I'll take off the Delay and see how much it changes.  The controller side is very weak from where I am though.  (I'm quite far from the airport.)

I'm curious though - do you ever miss replies from pilots with Delay turned off?  I don't see it as a big deal, but... anybody else?  What do you do with Delay?  :)

I was expecting a simple YES/NO answer to the Delay question, and a general summary of "Oh, I scan all... or I scan the north sector because I live there /OR/ there tends to be more traffic there...etc"   :D

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
Scanning Configuration
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »
Quote from: IndyTower
I'd pay money for SFO. ;)

Indy, where were you when I ran the SFO feed? :)  I lived atop a good size hill and was able to just use the stock rubber duckie on my Sony Wavehawk at the time.  Good times.

Offline PHL Approach

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
I still have fond memories of that feed, Keith. I remember listening one night and the guy working local just sounded incredible to me. So I had my friend tune in, and he's like what's so special about him? Then clips of three different local controllers were posted over the summer, about how good they were and it proved I was not crazy! I would PAY for SFO!

Offline IndyTower

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 01:25:08 PM »
Oh yes I was around.  It's all I listened to for quite a while.  I'll be out there in March and definatly plan on taking the scanner and listening in for a while.  I guess I should have said I'd pay to have it back.  Thanks for running it while you did!  ;)

Matt

Offline Tomato

Scanning Configuration
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks, tyketto... is there anybody else out there who would like to share?  I'm not expecting a whole list of frequencies though... ;)

What scanner do you use?  Do you prefer any particular sector/control (Tower/Approach/Departure) over another?  :)