Author Topic: Scanner  (Read 5980 times)

Offline ditchpig

Scanner
« on: March 18, 2006, 04:29:38 PM »
Would someone tell me what kind of scanner to look for?  I am situated between CYYZ and CYHM. I expect I will also need some kind of antenna system.

Regards

Rick

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Scanner
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:21:54 PM »
Do you want a handheld or a desktop? Do you want to spend alot? Or a little? Do you want an expensive antenna? A cheap one? A long one? A short one?

A ton of variables :lol:  8)

Offline ditchpig

scanner
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »
I guess I need a desktop.  I have handheld radios for listening in the car or at the airport. I would be willing to spend around $300.  Just as long as I can hear CYYZ.

Thanks for the reply

Rick

Offline stealth71

Scanner
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 12:13:20 PM »
I have always used the Pro series from Radio Shack and they are pretty much bullet proof. Mine has been plugged in and running for 9 straigh years now. But...remember that a scanner is only as good as a good outdoor antenna. An indoor antenna just isn't going to be as effective unless you live accross the street from an airport. You might consider finding a deal on Ebay for $100, and then spend another $50-100 for an external antenna setup and you'll be set to go.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Scanner
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 01:13:05 PM »
Quote from: stealth71
I have always used the Pro series from Radio Shack and they are pretty much bullet proof. Mine has been plugged in and running for 9 straigh years now. But...remember that a scanner is only as good as a good outdoor antenna. An indoor antenna just isn't going to be as effective unless you live accross the street from an airport. You might consider finding a deal on Ebay for $100, and then spend another $50-100 for an external antenna setup and you'll be set to go.

Agree 100%. I also have a pro scanner, love it because it fit my budget, and is a good scanner. You need to have a good antenna, maybe put it on your roof. Discone maybe? Check out ebay, thats where I bought most of my equipment from...

Offline stealth71

Scanner
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 01:20:48 PM »
Yep, absolutely. If you really want to do some hands on work, build your own copper J-pole antenna. Takes a little research and time, but it's interesting to do, and you get a lot of satisfaction when you hear that first transmission coming from an antenna you built yourself.