airtraffic

Author Topic: Scanner reception question  (Read 8087 times)

Offline KPryor

Scanner reception question
« on: January 11, 2006, 09:14:52 PM »
I finally came up with some cash and am planning to buy a new scanner that is capable of picking up aviation frequencies.  I would like to provide a feed for Terre Haute Hulman Field (KHUF) tower and Hulman approach.  However, I'm wondering if I'm too far away to do this successfully.  I live almost exactly 30 nm southwest of KHUF in Robinson, IL and was concerned I might be too far away.  Can anyone advise me about this?

If I can't get KHUF tower, I'm wondering if I could still get Hulman approach and/or Indy center.  The cutoff between Indy Ctr. and Kansas City Ctr. is about 5 miles west of my home, so possibly I could provide a feed for one of them if all else fails.

Any input, suggestions, etc, would be very much appreciated.
KP

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:37:13 AM »
I think you're gonna find 30 miles is too far to pick up the tower, unless you're up on a tall hill or something with a good line of sight to the airport.  And even then I wouldn't count on it.

If you're 5 miles from Center's transmitter that's plenty close.

Offline KPryor

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:02:01 AM »
Thanks for the info Biff!
KP

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:27:11 AM »
Just because the ZKC/ZID border is 5 miles from your house doesn't mean there's a transmitter nearby.  I would guess that there's one for ZID (132.2) at HUF, but the closest one for ZKC could be miles away.  You can probably get plenty of aircraft on various center frequencies, but you may not be able to hear controllers depending on where the transmitters are.

Offline KPryor

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
Thanks Indy, that was my next question, wondering where the transmitters might be.  Probably not anywhere really close to here, I'm guessing.  Looks like I'm either going to have to move, LOL, or forget doing a feed.  I appreciate the info guys before I go out and spend a bunch of money for no reason.  I'm still probably gonna get a scanner, but looks like the feed idea isn't gonna happen.  Now, If I could just get Robinson Municipal to become Robinson International..... ;)
KP

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 12:47:31 PM »
Using Google Earth, it looks pretty flat around there, so you might be able to pick up the Hullman Approach/Tower controllers at KHUF, 38 miles (statute) from Robinson, if you have a good outdoor antenna mounted on a roof or tower. I used to live 20 miles from a Center transmitter and could get them about strength 4 inside the house without using an external antenna. So 38 miles seems reasonable with a good external antenna and nothing in the way (buildings/hills) ?

It looks like the closest Indianapolis Center transmitter would be in Terra Haute on 132.200 (low altitude to FL230) and 134.175 (FL240 to FL330). Basically the same distance as KHUF, maybe even located at KHUF (?), so you might be able to get them ?

I believe there is also a Kansas City Center transmitter located in Effingham which is only 43 miles (statute) west of Robinson, transmitting on 135.050 (FL240 to FL330) and 133.225 (FL340 and above). You might be able to pull those controllers in as well ?

Even if you can't get any controllers it would still be interesting to listen to aircraft only on the Center frequencies in that area. As a reference, below is a map showing the high altitude sectors in that area.

DJ

Offline KPryor

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »
Thanks DJ!  Yes, it's pretty much flatland all around here.  Didn't know there was a KC transmitter in Effingham.  When I get my scanner, I'll just do a little experimentation and see what I can get.  You're right, it will be fun just listening to the aircraft, even if I can't get the various ctr, twr, etc.

BTW, I've pretty well decided on the PRO-2052 scanner from Radio Shack. It's in my price range and seems to have the features I want.
KP

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »
>>Didn't know there was a KC transmitter in Effingham.<<

According to this website there is.

http://www.freqofnature.com/index.php?m=ARTCC%20Centers&p=ZKC%20Kansas%20City

Not sure how current it is though ? I know 135.050 and 133.225 are current as of a few months ago.

It's a busy area overhead, with the Chicago area departures/arrivals and Transcon flights. Looking forward to listening when you get it up and running.

DJ

Offline KPryor

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »
Just went and got my PRO-2052 at the local Rad Shack.  Gotta go to work now, so I probably won't have time to mess with it till tonight.
Thanks for the freq. info, DJ.  I'll give them a try and see what I come up with.
KP

Offline FlyCMI

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:32:18 PM »
I know that this post is old, but you might want to try Kansas City Center on 124.30, 135.05, or 133.225.  The transmitters are located near Effingham off I57.  They are directly west of the interstate, near the rest area.