airtraffic

Author Topic: Career: ....Pilot vs ATC  (Read 10672 times)

Offline mh2384

Career: ....Pilot vs ATC
« on: November 22, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
I am a soon to be 24 yr old male and hold a ASEL private certificate, and by this December I will hold my instrument rating (Lord willing.)  I have the option of attending a university (currently at a 2yr college) and completing my commercial through CFI ratings and going to work for the university whilst obtaining a BS in applied science.  This university also offers the CTI for ATC which gets you ready to go to OKC and drastically increase your chances of not washing out of the training program.  Just trying to weigh my options on the two paths and looking for opinions.
I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on either career.  What age did you start your ATC career?  Your career as a pilot?  Any controller/pilots out there?  For a controller, what are some skills you really have had to develop to do well at your job?  Would I be getting in too late age wise?  
I've been told that a controller with at least an instrument rating is a good deal more helpful/competent in some ways...This is the opinion of my CFI (that all controllers should have at least an inst. rating)  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  

Good day

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
Re: Career: ....Pilot vs ATC
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 06:07:24 PM »
Pilots have the best views in their jobs, but spend half their nights in hotels. Controllers have responsibility for an airspace with a dozen of planes, pilots only have their plane... Controllers are more part of a network, the cockpit crew is more isolated.

Which of the jobs do you think that you'll do (with fun) for 40 years?
If you say "both", which does fit your capabilities best?

I am a computing consultant, frequent flyer, comms and plane enthusiast. I was fascinated by computers thirty years ago and I like my job. Doing something you like makes it easier to keep up with continuous education, staying sharp, etc.

Offline RV1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:39 PM »
Got my pilot's license in '87. During my pilot training, I visited the local control tower. The controllers there suggested I try for the job as an ATC. Eight months later I was headed to OKC. Controlling for almost 20 years. Does holding progressive ratings make you a better controller? No. You may be more well rounded in your understanding of what takes place in the cockpit or during certain phases of flight, but the skills are just that. I know a controller who is a CFII, and is one crappy controller. Would I spend the dough at a college to be an ATC. NO. Get the education and degree, because then you'll always have it, you can fall back on it and they can't take it away, but don't do it because it'll help you through the academy. Right now, most are breezing through OKC, because it's a numbers game for the FAA, and most are washing out at facilities. The skills are what's needed. I have a 21 year old daughter, looking for a career. If the FAA wasn't so close to total collapse, I'd steer her towards ATC, she's smart enough. However, given the current state of affairs of my employer, you're better off waiting. You will see drastic changes within the next 24 months. Not sure if they'll be good or bad, but you will see them! Corporate America wants to reduce pay, reduce staffing, increase company profits. See where you'll fit in there...

Offline ogogog

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:59:59 AM »
RV1 is correct untill controllers get a real contract and attitudes at FAA changes , ATC is not a good choice at this time.

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:28:32 AM »
RV1 is correct untill controllers get a real contract and attitudes at FAA changes , ATC is not a good choice at this time.
In my part of the world (LVNL and Eurocontrol) working conditions and pay for ATC are good. (Biggest complaint is boredom at the smallest airports.) Situation in the US is bad, but AFAICT working conditions at the US airlines have deteriorated too last decades.

Get your degree, a degree gives you more choice in better jobs. Consider non-aviation jobs too, especially in the USA.

Offline mk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 08:43:19 PM »
if you like a job do it...rewards will come from doing the job you love.  the pay isn't what it was and it's not the greatest pay in the world, but it's the best job in the world hands down.  you thnk pay as a controller is bad?  try making less than 40k as a pilot for years and years.  both jobs are what keeps this nation running. both will be around for quite a while, and hopfully the pay will bounce back up soon

Offline mh2384

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
The program is just a 18 hr add on...

About the washouts at facilities.  I am training in North Alabama.  There are ATC spec. trainees at the local class charlie airport and I think I can agree with your view about the "numbers game."  (lots of mistakes made)
Anyway, I appreciate the replies and do keep it coming.

Offline kaktak1

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:49 PM »
become a controller on VATSIM, see how you like it

Offline JBnut

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »
ATC- is full of Type A personallities if you don't know your right you'll never make it!!!   We are cocky and we have to be.  We hold lives in our hands.. Controllers dont make mistakes.......and admit to it. :-D ask any controller that has been doing it for a long time and they all agree with this: An Air Traffic Control is

A Profession In Which Persons Of:
Definable Intestinal Fortitude; Unlimited Ability To Correlate Masses Of Confusing Numbers, Figures, Rules And Statistics Both Defined And Infinite In Their Change; The Caliber And Character Associated With The Most Demanding Discipline And Integrity And Resolve To Their Job Unmatched By The Vast Majority; Daily Accept With Enthusiasm Normaly Associated With Pleasure Rather Than Work, The Responsibility Of Insuring The Safe Passage Through Unfriendly And Crowded Skies, The Immeasurable Assets Represented By Multi-Million Dollar Aircraft And The Multitude Of Lives Contained In These Fragile Ships Of The Skies. To Be An Air Traffic Controller Is To Be Proud, Arrogant, Bold And Mabye A Little Foolish...
But I Would Not Be Anything Else

-Randoplh F. Kritzer-
I love my job. So Im gonna say ATC.  Of course I've never flown before so im kinda partial... good luck

JB