airtraffic

Author Topic: SBS-1 Worth the price?  (Read 4918 times)

Offline sean

SBS-1 Worth the price?
« on: March 06, 2006, 10:12:02 PM »
I thought I might get some opinions on the SBS-1 Virtual Radar System by Kintetic:

http://www.kineticavionics.co.uk/sbs-1.php

It looks like it sells for about $900 US.  What do you all think about that price?  Would you be willing to pay $900 for this kind of capability?
Why/Why not?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Sean

Offline Tomato

SBS-1 Worth the price?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 01:57:38 PM »
I think it depends where you are, what you're looking for, and how you are with your finances. (ie. What your budget is compared to what you need/looking for.)

Personally, I think that this level of technology/equipment is worth ~$1000... it's an innovative product available to consumers that picks up live traffic, decodes it and plots it nicely for you.  If you're running a flight school, this could be a very cheap and invaluable tool.  If you're new to aviation, you have to consider if you have $1000 to spend.

If you're in Europe, many (most?) aircraft are equipped and transmit with the required MODE-S/ADS-B.  In Canada however, I know that the largest airline, Air Canada does not have aircraft that transmit MODE-S/ADS-B.  So, if you're in Canada hoping to see any Air Canada flights, you're sore out of luck.  You'll probably be able to see any oceanic flights, and maybe some US-based airlines, but I have absolutely no clue about those.

Hope this helps a little... :)