Author Topic: Sad news - we have lost one of our own  (Read 11286 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Sad news - we have lost one of our own
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »
Today I received some very sad and shocking news.  Paul Valois (N1ELL, for those of you who are also ham radio operators), a good friend of mine and the person who has been supplying our KBTV Burlington, VT and Boston Center (MPV Sector) feeds, as well as the Montreal feeds, was killed in a tragic plane crash in Texas on Wednesday.  There is more information below - I discovered this purely by accident today while visiting another web site.

Paul was known on the LiveATC Forums as "T210 Driver" and was one of the best radio techs around, as well as a successful businessman in Vermont (contactbeep.com). He was also an avid pilot, flying his Cessna 210 back and forth to Texas often.  He loved both flying and radio, and that is how we both originally met.

Paul was also one of the most giving persons I have ever known. 

I will miss him, and I am sure others in the community here will feel the same.

RIP Paul - you left us too soon.  And condolences to Paul's family.

-Dave

===============

I am sure that many amateurs from Northern Vermont knew Paul, N1ELL.  I am sad to report that my old friend was tragically killed Wednesday September 23rd while landing his Cessna 210 at a small airport at Hilltop Lakes, Texas.

I first met Paul when he was living in Montreal in the mid 1970s when he was working at Motorola.    I forget the WA1 callsign he used at the time.  Paul was an excellent technician and helped me assemble a Motorola HT220 from parts I had scrounged up at the Rochester NY hamfest we both attended one year.  It's ironic that he died at the very time I am involved in working on the Motorola portables we are using for the Deerfield Fair radio project.

Originally from Rhode Island, Paul relocated to Montreal to immerse himself in his native French Canadian culture and perfect his French.  He spoke both English (with a heavy RI accent) and French fluently.  Paul married Sylvie and in the 1980s they moved to the Burlington VT area where he started a successful paging business.  They had two daughters.

Paul built and operated two repeaters; one on Covey Hill in Hemmingford Quebec on 146.685 MHz and the other on top of Mount Mansfield in Northern Vermont on 145.470 MHz which bears his callsign.  In the early 1980s Paul asked me to be the trustee of the Covey Hill repeater because he didn't hold a Canadian amateur radio license.  I was able to obtain the callsign VE2REX.  We called it the "King of repeaters" and sure had a lot of fun on that repeater in those days.  After I relocated to the USA in 1990 Paul and I handed over the license and trusteeship to a local club that had just been formed.

In addition to amateur radio, Paul loved flying his Cessna 210.  I last saw Paul at the Northern Vermont Hamfest at Colchester last February and invited him to Deerfield.  He said he could not make it in May because he was already booked for Dayton but would love to come to NEAR-Fest in October.  It saddens me now to know that he will never make it.

More details and news reports on the tragic crash that claimed Paul's life may be found here:

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/60861067.html

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/61356072.html

A minute of silence will be observed at NEAR-Fest VI just prior to the ceremonial Opening of the Gate in honor and memory of Paul N1ELL and the other amateur radio operators who have joined the ranks of silent keys since we last convened the NEAR-Fest last May.

Michael W1RC

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
Re: Sad news - we have lost one of our own
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
Oh my God, that's horrible news. I've corresponded with Paul (T210 Driver) on several occasions on this forum. He will be missed. Prayers go out to his family.

Ken
N6GOH

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »
This is most definitely sad news I wasn't expecting. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. He will be deeply missed, but will always be flying and doing what he loves best in spirit.

Deepest condolences.

Best,
Jason

Offline KPryor

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of Paul's passing.  My sincere condolences to all of his family and friends.
KP

Offline aevins

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:44:29 PM »
A terrible loss to our community and the GA community as a whole.

Blue skies Paul...

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:13:06 AM »
Very sad news.  Thanks for posting Dave. 

Mark, N6KES (also a pilot and a ham)

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 06:30:18 AM »
I did not know Paul but it from what I have read about him it sounds like he was a very well loved and respected man that did a lot for the community at whole !

He will be missed even by those that did not know him

"Your key may have gone silent but your legend never did"

God speed Paul

Glenn KB6HLM 

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words.  It has been a difficult weekend, more so I am sure for Paul's family.

When you read the reports of aviation accidents, all the accidents appear to be senseless.  Accidents happen for many reasons, and it can happen to any of us.

Just a word to all the other pilots who read this - please fly safe and be vigilant.

-dave

Offline Pkm188

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
Very sad indeed, my condolences go out to the family.

kea001

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »

Paul Valois
   December 8, 1951 - Sept. 23, 2009

Obituary at Burlington Free Press:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/burlingtonfreepress/obituary.aspx?n=paul-l-valois&pid=133502851
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:29:04 PM by kea001 »

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »
Just wanted to add my condolences to his family and those who knew him. Even though I didn't know him personally it's very sad, as Dave put it, to lose one of our own.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.   Dave, you and his family have my condolences as well.  Truly sorry to hear that.

Offline mklatval

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »
I talked to paul on the frequency regularly, the controllers here at BTV will miss 93Y...

Offline ARMEDnPISSED

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »
Terrible news. He will be in my prayers

Offline glencar

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
My deepest condolences...

Offline SeanC3

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
So very saddened to read of this tragic accident. My thoughts & prayers go to his family and friends at this time (you take care too Dave).

SeanC.