airtraffic

Author Topic: Clearance Practice  (Read 6237 times)

Offline dmbpilot

Clearance Practice
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »
I am beginning my instrument training. Which is the best clearance to listen to for practice.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Clearance Practice
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
One of the forum regulars took a clip from the Reno, Nevada clearance delivery and edited it into a 15 minute clip for instrument student pilots to use for practice.   I would  recommend starting here:  http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,4278.0.html

(note you need to be signed in to the forum to see the audio clips)

The challenge with finding a good live clearance delivery feed is this:  It seems that only the larger airport feeds have dedicated or near dedicated clearance delivery feeds.  The downside is that these class B airport clearances often involve jet routes, departure procedures, and/or abbreviated clearances, all of which are not too meaningful to a new instrument student.   

For the smaller class C and D airports where GA IFR clearances are useful to new instrument students, the feeders have mixed CD in with ground, tower, and sometimes even approach.  With that many frequencies being scanned, you often have to listen awhile before the CD frequency is received with a full route clearance that will be of use.  There may be a dedicated class C or D airport clearance delivery but I haven't yet seen it.  That would be the most beneficial to you.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »
Even better, if you have MSFS or X-Plane, sign up with VATSIM and fly online with real ppl providing ATC service.  Pick up an IFR clearance then fly your route, all for free.

I'm just about done with my instrument training and VATSIM has been incredibly helpful in the process. On my very first IFR flight, I picked up the clearance over the phone from the TRACON, departed (non-towered airport), flew the enroute portion, then did several practice approaches at a Class C field, handling every single radio call, including the dreaded approach clearance that usually leaves student pilots with their jaws agape.

The instructor said he'd never had a student work the radios on their first IFR flight. That would be a direct result of many hours of flying on VATSIM.

It's one thing to LISTEN to a clearance, but as you know, it's another to also have the confidence in reading it back. 

Offline dmbpilot

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »
Wow! Thank you for the helpful advice.