Author Topic: "Direct to the numbers"  (Read 12903 times)

Offline wrice123

"Direct to the numbers"
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
I'm a low time pilot so forgive my ignorance, but what is "Fly direct to the numbers"? 
 :?
I was west of an airport with a 17/35 runway, and was expecting a "right base for 17" or some other instruction involving the formal names of the legs of the pattern.  I flew a right base to the numbers at pattern altitude, expecting further directions, then was admonished for not landing.

Apparently "Fly direct to the numbers" meant I was to land right away.  I could not find that verbiage in the AIM/FAR and rarely online.  Stupid me or stupid him?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: "Direct to the numbers"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
It is a very common expression used by local (Tower) controllers, at least here in the U.S.

It means, more or less, fly direct to the landing runway and land.

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »
I'm a low time pilot so forgive my ignorance, but what is "Fly direct to the numbers"? 
 :?
I was west of an airport with a 17/35 runway, and was expecting a "right base for 17" or some other instruction involving the formal names of the legs of the pattern.  I flew a right base to the numbers at pattern altitude, expecting further directions, then was admonished for not landing.

Apparently "Fly direct to the numbers" meant I was to land right away.  I could not find that verbiage in the AIM/FAR and rarely online.  Stupid me or stupid him?

The tower should give you pattern entry or runway approach instructions. If you are not clear about what instructions you have, you should ask. It is the only safe way to go. You could be asked to fly starting with any leg of the pattern or do a straight-in.

Most of the time at towered airports that are not busy, you will not be asked to fly unnecessary pattern legs.  (even though a good practice at a non-towered airport IS to fly a pattern) You'll see that straight-ins and base entries will be common versus your work at uncontrolled fields. But they could ask you do anything. Always clarify!

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:59:14 PM »
It's not approved phraseology so you won't find it in the AIM or the 7110.65 but you hear it all the time.  I used to use the phrase, "fly straight to the numbers..."

The approved phraseology version would be, "make short approach..."

Quote from: 7110.65T  3-8-1
3-8-1. SEQUENCE/SPACING APPLICATION

Establish the sequence of arriving and departing aircraft by requiring them to adjust flight or ground operation, as necessary, to achieve proper spacing.

PHRASEOLOGY-
CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF.

CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF OR HOLD SHORT/HOLD IN POSITION/TAXI OFF THE RUNWAY (traffic).

EXTEND DOWNWIND.

MAKE SHORT APPROACH.

NUMBER (landing sequence number),

FOLLOW (description and location of traffic),

or if traffic is utilizing another runway,

TRAFFIC (description and location) LANDING RUNWAY (number of runway being used).

CIRCLE THE AIRPORT.

MAKE LEFT/RIGHT THREE-SIXTY/TWO SEVENTY.

GO AROUND (additional instructions as necessary).

CLEARED TO LAND.

CLEARED:

TOUCH-AND-GO,
or

STOP-AND-GO,
or

LOW APPROACH.

CLEARED FOR THE OPTION,

or

OPTION APPROVED,

or

UNABLE OPTION, (alternate instructions).

or

UNABLE (type of option), OTHER OPTIONS APPROVED.

Offline wrice123

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »
Thanks!  Yes, I should have clarified instructions.  I had a passenger on his first GA flight and I didn't want to look bad, but ended up being called on the mistake anyway.  I was also confused since there was a Bonanza zipping down right downwind and I was cleared "number two" behind him, which seemed to contradict a "fly direct to the numbers" if I was supposed to fall in line... Will definitely ask in the future!

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
I had a student, a few years back, that thought when you were instructed to make a short approach you were to land before the numbers. YIKES! That gets your attention. :-o